Feeding Lettuce

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your saying is inaccurate spirulina not full of ash.
Not all flake foods are bad and no they digest just fine or the fish wouldn't gain weight or muscle.
You reasoning for lettuce with no beneficial evidence is comical.
Go read actual studies you can try and question my common sense but at least my information is backed with actual accurate information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you not comprehending about supplementing lettuce has no benefit because the amount absorbed through the intestines is so meaningless it would have to be fed all day everyday.
Algae provides more nutrition and that why they graze on it everyday. Lettuce would grow in the ocean if that what they were suppose to eat.
And there nothing wrong with protein supplements it no different then me taking whey protein daily to build muscle.
If you wanna get technical i hate to burst ya bubble but everything has something bad for us because it produced in large quantities to feed the masses and it all about aiding the chain.
Your lettuce is grown with gmos and pesticides and you feed it to your fish but that ok even though they get the bare minimum right.
Smh you're all so narrow minded and bias.
I've been open minded about this topic and i agreed it won't kill your fish but it not benefiting it just saving your cheap butt some money when you already spent $1000 on lights.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't quote me anymore I'm going to unsubscribe this topic.
Only a child would try to drag this out any longer i have my opinion you have yours we agree to disagree end of this conversation.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any that are still reading. Look at the guaranteed analysis on the back of flake food, whether spirulina or veggie, or whatever. There is a catagory for ash. Ash has absolutely no nutritional value and is not digested. Also, if you are aware of the process of how flakes are made is much of the beneficial oils are taken out and then it is baked to remove moisture, but this further breaks down the benefits of the vitamins.

Lionfish Lair provided valuable studies and analysis to the discussion, so no need to rehash those.

Sycoticrealm mentioned flakes getting fish fat and healthy. Others reported lettuce having the same affects, so that's a wash.

The comment on 'everything has something bad' works for anything being fed, which is why variety helps offset this.

High protein for a fish with a diet that is naturally skewed toward plant matter is detrimental and has been shown to lead to fatty liver disease.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To sum this up. Here is an example.
A person uses 14lbs of lime stone live rock and says why are my nitrates 80ppm.
Well that is, because you would need 100lbs+ of limestone to equal the amount of porosity of 14lbs of Fiji to be beneficial for your tank to be able to filter a 14 gallon tank and you can not put 100lbs of LR in a 14g tank. The size of porosity of 14lbs of limestone LR is probably the amount 2lbs fiji. We all know you can't use 2lbs of LR to filter a 14g.
Moral of the story. Lettuce is limestone and algae/seaweed is fiji.
Why are we still talking about this! This is like get the last word in club!

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any that are still reading. Look at the guaranteed analysis on the back of flake food, whether spirulina or veggie, or whatever.

The ingredient list for any spirulina flake is mostly fish meal and wheat flour followed by some spirulina. The only pure spirulina flake I have found is from the UK and is very $$$$$$$. People should read the ingredient list of anything they throw in the tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To sum this up. Here is an example.
A person uses 14lbs of lime stone live rock and says why are my nitrates 80ppm.
Well that is, because you would need 100lbs+ of limestone to equal the amount of porosity of 14lbs of Fiji to be beneficial for your tank to be able to filter a 14 gallon tank and you can not put 100lbs of LR in a 14g tank. The size of porosity of 14lbs of limestone LR is probably the amount 2lbs fiji. We all know you can't use 2lbs of LR to filter a 14g.
Moral of the story. Lettuce is limestone and algae/seaweed is fiji.
Why are we still talking about this! This is like get the last word in club!
If you look at the link of the side by side comparison of lettuce to seaweed, tou will see they are different. Lettuce having significantly higher percentages in vitamins and the seaweed being higher in fatty content and minerals.

A more appropriate analogy would be comparing carbon dosing methods. Vodka and polymers both reduce nutrients, they just get there differently.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the link of the side by side comparison of lettuce to seaweed, tou will see they are different. Lettuce having significantly higher percentages in vitamins and the seaweed being higher in fatty content and minerals.

A more appropriate analogy would be comparing carbon dosing methods. Vodka and polymers both reduce nutrients, they just get there differently.
Look at the serving size please... Smh NO FISH EAT HUMAN SERVING SIZES!
They have to eat it all day to get those benefits and they cannot digest it like they do Nori/Seaweed so the % will be lower.

Last edited by a moderator:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the serving size please... Smh NO FISH EAT HUMAN SERVING SIZES!
They have to eat it all day to get those benefits and they cannot digest it like they do Nori/Seaweed so the % will be lower.
Use ya brain for once people!
The serving size was the same for both so....

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The serving size was the same for both so....
The fish the fish!!!! The fish do not eat human portion's!
The absorption rate imply no matter what but It'll take 3 times as much lettuce to equal the same amount of nori...
Do you understand what I'm saying now?
Read and comprehend instead of reading just to respond for god sake read what I'm saying before you quote me then say something that makes no dang sense just to defend Tangs and lettuce..

I never said it was unsafe for the fish it just bloats then up never digest fully nothing but water and pesticide/GMOs are absorbed if not organic, and very little of the vitamins and Omega's fat acids ever get absorbed.
While seaweed digested and gone before lettuce is and they receive more nutrients.

The argument of clearing out the intestine is stupid because if you're feeding nori/seaweeds it doesn't need it in the first place because it does the same thing plus passes through the intestines faster with a high absorption rate.

I'm completely annoyed with this post where people take what they wanna read and spew off stuff that not in context of what people have said in disagreement with you.
Keep up and remember what someone said before you try and correct something that was never even said.
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji111] [emoji111] [emoji111]
I'm forcing myself to stop from here on out if you don't understand what I'm trying to say Idk what else to say but you're one stubborn person.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish the fish!!!! The fish do not eat human portion's!
That's why it's in percentages. A 2000 calorie diet is about 100% of the daily intake for an average human. A fish's will be a fraction of that, probably closer to 20 calories and that will equal close to 100% of it's daily needs. For a fish to get it's daily need of a vitamin or mineral it will be within his quantities, not a humans.
The absorption rate imply no matter what but It'll take 3 times as much lettuce to equal the same amount of nori...
The side by side comparison of lettuce to seaweed was 100grams for both, now the numbers were indeed geared for human consumption, but since vitamins are in percentages, we can still get an accurate idea of what would work for a fish. It was on the same mass of lettuce and algae. The same quantity of lettuce as seaweed had higher vitamin levels, whereas in the seaweed had higher mineral content.
The argument of clearing out the intestine is stupid because if you're feeding nori/seaweeds it doesn't need it in the first place because it does the same thing plus passes through the intestines faster with a high absorption rate.
Because the seaweed doesn't have as much cellulose it does not have the same intestinal cleaning ability. It is the undigestible roughage that serves this function. Also the longer it takes something to pass through the digestive tract, the more opportunity exists to absorb any nutrients.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a silly thought . . .

A tang wants to graze all day long, and can become cranky if his belly isn't full.

The same tang wants to swim for miles every day.

Seems to me that tang, snacking on dried (condensed) nori fluttering from a Two Little Fishies magnet-clip and swimming laps around a six-foot tank is getting far more nutrient intake per unit of exercise than a tang beating its pectorals against the surf and currents off Hawaii's Kona coast.

Perhaps a low-calorie, high-vitamin dietary supplement that'll take care of Mr. Tang's psychological need to graze all day long without making him overweight makes a nice enrichment, as well as rounding out his vitamin intake?!

~Bruce, a firm believer in "shotgun" nutrition - blast the body with a wide spectrum, and let it take what it needs . . .

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why it's in percentages. A 2000 calorie diet is about 100% of the daily intake for an average human. A fish's will be a fraction of that, probably closer to 20 calories and that will equal close to 100% of it's daily needs. For a fish to get it's daily need of a vitamin or mineral it will be within his quantities, not a humans.

The side by side comparison of lettuce to seaweed was 100grams for both, now the numbers were indeed geared for human consumption, but since vitamins are in percentages, we can still get an accurate idea of what would work for a fish. It was on the same mass of lettuce and algae. The same quantity of lettuce as seaweed had higher vitamin levels, whereas in the seaweed had higher mineral content.

Because the seaweed doesn't have as much cellulose it does not have the same intestinal cleaning ability. It is the undigestible roughage that serves this function. Also the longer it takes something to pass through the digestive tract, the more opportunity exists to absorb any nutrients.
You cannot digest anything if you don't have the enzyme's to digest it in the first place.
It doesn't matter if it sits longer.
Don't quote me anymore please you're obviously not understanding what I'm saying which would lead me to believe you're biased and will try to defend this even if your wrong.

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a silly thought . . .

A tang wants to graze all day long, and can become cranky if his belly isn't full.

The same tang wants to swim for miles every day.

Seems to me that tang, snacking on dried (condensed) nori fluttering from a Two Little Fishies magnet-clip and swimming laps around a six-foot tank is getting far more nutrient intake per unit of exercise than a tang beating its pectorals against the surf and currents off Hawaii's Kona coast.

Perhaps a low-calorie, high-vitamin dietary supplement that'll take care of Mr. Tang's psychological need to graze all day long without making him overweight makes a nice enrichment, as well as rounding out his vitamin intake?!

~Bruce, a firm believer in "shotgun" nutrition - blast the body with a wide spectrum, and let it take what it needs . . .
Great analogy!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back