Feeding LRS Fish Frenzy

BigBoi5680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone preparing their Fish Frenzy? Just breaking of a piece and putting in tank after it thaws a little? Does anybody take the package and break it down into smaller individual servings/cubes? Adding anything to it?

skiwez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I break off a piece and clip to one of those 2 little fishes magnetic clips. Fish come and break off pieces at it defrost. Found it makes less mess then thawing and spreading.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a diy feeding tube so i just drop it in there and it disperses by itself. Im too lazy to wait to thaw it

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
break pieces off from top of the packaging to bottom, opening the whole bag can cause premature freezer burn

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what? can you clarify this>
Like vacuum sealing, once you open the whole pack and break it apart you allow air into the bag, this allows freezer burn to occur at a faster rate

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a knife to shave off a few tiny pieces, I put them in a glass of rodi water for a minute to thaw, and then dump it in the tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I break off a piece and stick it to the side of an MP60. It blows all through the tank as if thaws
Awesome idea! Thanks for this. This is how I will feed it from now on.

I usually just break a piece off and thaw it between my fingers in the tank. Most of my fish have gotten so used to my hands, I can feed them by hand, and when I'm doing maintenance they think they are getting fed. lol

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences with our foods! Many of the methods described work perfectly as folks have explained. Even when frozen our food sheets can easily be sliced into custom sized cubes tailored to your tank and the amount needed per feeding. When I used to travel I would leave daily servings in the freezer in salad dressing cups to avoid any chance of over feeding. Just be aware if the food is removed from the original packaging and cut into cubes you now have six sides of the food exposed. This makes it more more susceptible for freezer burn if not stored in an air tight container. The only real "wrong" way to feed our food is to keep it thawed in the fridge for 3-7 days. That is a terrible idea as the food deteriorates rapidly after being thawed for 24 hours. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 5.24.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 5.24.14 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 63

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a true believer
IMG_3667_HEIC-M.jpg

Wow that is a lot of LRS! How long does that last you? Mind if I ask if your purchasing habits changed during the pandemic? We noticed a huge surge in sales and production volume over the past year. There was a 200% spike in March 2020 and 2021, the same month the stimulus checks were sent out. A lot of stores reported that the average customer was purchasing 2-3X more frozen food than usual. I can only assume it was due to fears of shortages, but also people were home a lot more than usual and possibly feeding more frequently. We certainly appreciate the support.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences with our foods! Many of the methods described work perfectly as folks have explained. Even when frozen our food sheets can easily be sliced into custom sized cubes tailored to your tank and the amount needed per feeding. When I used to travel I would leave daily servings in the freezer in salad dressing cups to avoid any chance of over feeding. Just be aware if the food is removed from the original packaging and cut into cubes you now have six sides of the food exposed. This makes it more more susceptible for freezer burn if not stored in an air tight container. The only real "wrong" way to feed our food is to keep it thawed in the fridge for 3-7 days. That is a terrible idea as the food deteriorates rapidly after being thawed for 24 hours. Thanks again!
This is what I do as well. I put a little salt water in there and thaw & mix it. Then freeze it.
day 1 is ready to go in fridge for them. They then take one out and put in fridge for next day. It’s mostly thawed by the next day for them to dump in tank.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a lot of LRS! How long does that last you? Mind if I ask if your purchasing habits changed during the pandemic? We noticed a huge surge in sales and production volume over the past year. There was a 200% spike in March 2020 and 2021, the same month the stimulus checks were sent out. A lot of stores reported that the average customer was purchasing 2-3X more frozen food than usual. I can only assume it was due to fears of shortages, but also people were home a lot more than usual and possibly feeding more frequently. We certainly appreciate the support.
I use a package every 7-10 days. I get that much to reduce the shipping per package cost. It comes from premium Aquatics. I usually buy 8 but I got 10 last time and 1 left over from the last order.

I open a package and cut it up on a cutting board. Then place it in a ziplock bag for the week. The cup on the right is squid for the eels. They are cloudy because I add a dropper of Selcon daily.
IMG_3036_heic-XL.jpg

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do as well. I put a little salt water in there and thaw & mix it. Then freeze it.
day 1 is ready to go in fridge for them. They then take one out and put in fridge for next day. It’s mostly thawed by the next day for them to dump in tank.

How come you are thawing it, adding saltwater and re-freezing. Bear in mind anytime food is thawed and re-frozen degradation can occur. Things like lipids prefer to be kept stable verses multiple times being frozen-thawed-re-frozen, etc. When the food slowly freezes in a residential freezer micro-ice crystals form which cause a shearing effect within the food. The lipid rich PE Mysis was briefly thawed once before adding into our foods, which is why it really isn't beneficial for it to be thawed and frozen again. I think you would be better off skipping the thawing and adding water step. It's not a terrible risk, but that second round of freezing will likely make some ingredients in the food turn to mush. Thanks for using LRS and sharing your experience.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at my Premium Aquatics account
I bought 12 on 1/12/21
and 12 on 5/4/21
so 12 lasts me about slightly less than 4 months

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come you are thawing it, adding saltwater and re-freezing. Bear in mind anytime food is thawed and re-frozen degradation can occur. Things like lipids prefer to be kept stable verses multiple times being frozen-thawed-re-frozen, etc. When the food slowly freezes in a residential freezer micro-ice crystals form which cause a shearing effect within the food. The lipid rich PE Mysis was briefly thawed once before adding into our foods, which is why it really isn't beneficial for it to be thawed and frozen again. I think you would be better off skipping the thawing and adding water step. It's not a terrible risk, but that second round of freezing will likely make some ingredients in the food turn to mush. Thanks for using LRS and sharing your experience.
Thanks for the tip! I was trying to make it easy for the non fish person to dump in the tank. I don’t have a good dispersion system for dropping in a frozen chunk. Any tips for that?

now that you mention, it does seem more mushy doing it this way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back