Pre-Mixing Frozen Foods - Storage time

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Everyday I mix 1 cube of Hikari Mysis Shrimp and 1 cube of Hikari Spirulina Shrimp and feed them to my to my two tanks.
I've seen that some people pre-mix their food into a squirt bottle so that it's prepared and easier to feed.

Question is, once thawed and mixed with water... how long do people think the food mixture would last if stored in the refrigerator?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-7 days is usually how long I'll leave pre-mixed (unthawed) food in the fridge. You can also pre-cut/mix frozen food in small containers and place these in the freezer for extended periods (weeks, etc,)

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-7 days is usually how long I'll leave pre-mixed (unthawed) food in the fridge. You can also pre-cut/mix frozen food in small containers and place these in the freezer for extended periods (weeks, etc,)
Great, a week is normally the absolute max I was keeping the food mix in the fridge.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, a week is normally the absolute max I was keeping the food mix in the fridge.
I bought a bunch of these 1" plastic containers (about the size of model paint containers) from the Dollar Store and just pre-mix a few weeks worth of food in these (taking out a few days to thaw as I need it).

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put brine, mysis and chunk of shrimp, nori, garlic and selcon premided into a cup and add RO water. I feed the fish using a baster. Left overs are strored in a fridge. Because of the garlic and selcon, it doesn't last very long before it smells pretty bad. Max 3 days. After a day, you can tell the food is breaking down. The water used to thaw it down is cloudy. After 3 days, the fish begin to reject the food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back