feeding my 20 gal

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two ocelaris and one firefish and a court line goby in my 20 gal and I feed to small pellets every Monday Wednesday and Friday and Sunday and brine shrimp every Tuesday, Thursday, and saturday I feed half to a quarter a cube of brine and I feed like 10 pellets is this too much or is this fine they are full by the end of the feeding but I'm still seeing a lot of algae.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i have two ocelaris and one firefish and a court line goby in my 20 gal and I feed to small pellets every Monday Wednesday and Friday and Sunday and brine shrimp every Tuesday, Thursday, and saturday I feed half to a quarter a cube of brine and I feed like 10 pellets is this too much or is this fine they are full by the end of the feeding but I'm still seeing a lot of algae.
Fine and you feed daily
Add either mysis shrimp or brine flake to the diet

Dan1788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a new tank and what are your po4 readings and no3?
This will tell you Al you need to know.
Waterchanges and scrubbing it off the rock.
If the Po4 is high this will cause algea growth and you can run a bit of gfo in the sump to bring it down.
If it is a new tank it's all part of the process to a mature tank I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine and you feed daily
Add either mysis shrimp or brine flake to the diet
im 16 so my dad isnt really knowledged about aquariums and he wont let me do things like getting more types of food he says I equate they will learn to eat the food which I partly agree on but if they aren't getting enough nutrition they can get sick which I definitely don't want

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a new tank and what are your po4 readings and no3?
This will tell you Al you need to know.
Waterchanges and scrubbing it off the rock.
If the Po4 is high this will cause algea growth and you can run a bit of gfo in the sump to bring it down.
If it is a new tank it's all part of the process to a mature tank I'm afraid.
i have some chato in the back chamber I cant afford a sump and my mom will not let me get one

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have some chato in the back chamber I cant afford a sump and my mom will not let me get one
i need to buy nitrates and nitrites and phosphate test kits my b-day is coming up so I will likely get the electronic version of the test kit I got the court line goby yesterday and my dad and I agree we aren't going to add corals for 2-4 more months my tank is like 2 months old

Dan1788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to a shop with a sample of water and get them to test it.
Gfo can be run in the chamber at the back in a media sock.

Dan1788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a media that reduces p04.
But a test is needed first it might be a acceptable level.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i need to buy nitrates and nitrites and phosphate test kits my b-day is coming up so I will likely get the electronic version of the test kit I got the court line goby yesterday and my dad and I agree we aren't going to add corals for 2-4 more months my tank is like 2 months old
Whatever you get , do not buy API test kits

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
im 16 so my dad isnt really knowledged about aquariums and he wont let me do things like getting more types of food he says I equate they will learn to eat the food which I partly agree on but if they aren't getting enough nutrition they can get sick which I definitely don't want
Explain to him that there are high nutritional needs and certain vitamins, aminos and fats and hence the importance of a variety of foods.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explain to him that there are high nutritional needs and certain vitamins, aminos and fats and hence the importance of a variety of foods.
thank you he is really hard to convince I've tired to tell him info from these forms but he really only trust are lfs so what would be best for my fish to get next because i have the meaty food should I get more plan-based foods but the thing I know is the clowns are carnivores so what should I get next

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observing their eating/consumption definitely helps; I recently switched to less food, but more often (3x day)...there's less wasted food, just a bit more work. I feed a blended food (LRS Herb Frenzy) for ease, but it is not cheap, in the morning...LRS Seaweed at lunch, and usually a clam cube around dinner. I soak the frozen in Selcon or Sera vitamins to enrich them.

There's already a lot of great advice in response. Water changes are important, if you are not doing them now, I'd make that a priority. Nothing crazy 10% every week or 2 will give you great results.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back