Feeding my Kole Tang

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a Kole Tang to my tank and have been leaving seaweed on a clip every morning, but I'm not sure if I'm leaving enough. Any suggestions on how much I should feed?

Thanks!

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feed mine with the rest of the tank. A cubes worth of rods food. He then pecks the rest of the day along the reef.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed as much seaweed as it will eat. Tangs need it.

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get my Kole to eat from the veggie clip for months... ended up just feeding him with the rest of the tank, making sure the food had algae in it (spirulina enriched).

I've recently added a juvenile blonde Naso and a small Yellow tang - they knew what the clip was for, and now the Kole does too.. all three of them tear into the seaweed like they're starving (they're not). Monkey see, monkey do applies to fish I guess.

As for how much, with three little tangs I give them a .5" x 2" strip folded tightly as often as they polish off the prior strip. Sometimes that's 8 times a day!

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. This one definitely knows what the veggie clips are for and wipes out the seaweed pretty quickly. I don't mind feeding more, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a problem.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he goes through what you leave out for him then put more. They go through a lot

OP
OP
SnoQ

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting out 2 pieces that are about 2 inches wide and 4 inches long and with some help from the other fish, it's gone by evening feeding time. I'm going to keep a close eye on the Tang to make sure it doesn't start looking skinny.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back