Feeding Phytoplankton to Green Star Polyps and Zoas

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a few ml out of the Seachem Reef Phytoplankton bottle and dropped a bit on my Zoas and Green Star Polyps. It's been three days since and the Zoas are still closed and the green star, in the areas that I applied it, are not coming out.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I know changes, small changes like water temp and lighting etc., could affect these, but I did not think feeding them would.

I tried to feed this because I was recently given some of this. It was just purchased and the expire date is 3 years out.

thanks
Gordon

OP
OP
Gordon Cashmore

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this because they are not growing at all. Palyos are growing fine in my tank, but GSP and Zoas are not. They are barely maintaining.
I think it might be light, but when I let my light stay on longer, they just shrink at least the Zoas do. It seems with less light they at least open more.

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that GSP has the ability to directly accept spot feeding. Perhaps your nutrients are too low for growth?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe too much light? I bought this product back in the beginning and don’t use it. I found it was too easy to over do it and cause algae issues. I don’t think the seachem is your issue though. Check your water paremeters. I find that we do so many things with our setups that it is very easy to think one thing caused it when it’s really another.

Rule 1 with corals(for me anyway) When something looks wrong test your water parameters first.

How long have you had these corals? Did you have a period that they looked good or always had issues from the beginning?

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a spot feed green star polyp a general coral food a couple times a week. Most of their food comes from the tank. Phyto is for corals that depend on light for food. My gsp is growing fast. T5 lighting , and I have them in moderate flow. Enough to move them but not enough to bend them over..

OP
OP
Gordon Cashmore

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dhk is 9.6 calcium was high last time I checked. PH is a bit on the low side. Nitrates nitrites all 0

VietExtender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard you shouldn’t spot feed with the seachem phyto or zooplankton. The stuff is so concentrated that it can kill your corals.

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed zooplankton a couple times a week. Seems to like it... ph could be a problem, but not a 0.1 low.. more like a 7. Number instead of an 8.3

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.. I have been doing it for months, and they are growing like the weed everyone said they were.. LOL.. Used to feed it to my other corals with no adverse effects...

VietExtender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.. I have been doing it for months, and they are growing like the weed everyone said they were.. LOL.. Used to feed it to my other corals with no adverse effects...
Were you broadcast feeding or spot feeding?

Garbonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Ocean Nutrition Oysterfeast and ON Live phyto in 6 of my tanks dedicated to coral, and the response was immediate as LPS puffed up and extended feeders and GSP would instantly react; however, even though the growth rate was tremendous, the broadcast feeding of this product seemed to cause an abundance of nuisance algae as well so use at your own risk.

U

User1

View Badges
The product isn't meant to spot feed, it is water column based similar to other products just like it. From their FAQ:

Q: Can I spot feed with Reef Zooplankton or Reef Phytoplankton?

A: With any supplements that are concentrated such as Reef ZooPlankton or Reef PhytoPlankton, it is best to disperse them into the aquarium and “blanket feed” rather than direct feeding as the components or even force applied from spot feeding can induce stress in sensitive coral tissue. They are really designed to be dosed into the tank itself and for the plankton sources to be taken in by the coral polyps from the water column versus target feeding.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is too clean. I run my zoa tank with a Nitrate of 50. The Zoas and Palys love it. Can’t even tell you what the phos is. I do have some algae growth but very minimal. Using Radion gen 4

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the seachem and look up reef nutrition, much better quality of foods. Any concentrated food should be broadcast fed in the water column. If you want to direct feed then dilute it with tank water first.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back