Feeding question

Kyle scott2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just inherited a salt water tank. The previous owner said he only fed the two small fish and 1 shrimp, every 2 days. Every thing I've read online is contradicting this. Should I switch to once a day, or keep his every 2 days? Thanks in advance!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Can you provide us with some more information on your newly aquired setup? :) Size, what fish, and what shrimp, and what the previous owner was feeding? Whether it was dry pellets, flakes, frozen cubes ect...
giphy (3).gif
#WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
Kyle scott2

Kyle scott2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, and sorry! 55 gal tank, one finding Nemo looking fish, one half yellow half silver fish(size of a quarter dollar) the shrimp is just an average one I'd say. I feed the fish flake food and the shrimp tiny little pellets

OP
OP
Kyle scott2

Kyle scott2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd post a pic, but a little embarrassed. He let Algae get a little out of control. I have been buying snails and replacing water every so often. Slowly but surely!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, and sorry! 55 gal tank, one finding Nemo looking fish, one half yellow half silver fish(size of a quarter dollar) the shrimp is just an average one I'd say. I feed the fish flake food and the shrimp tiny little pellets
No need to be sorry :) If previous owner was feeding once every 2 days, and the fish look healthy and full, I would stick to that schedule. You can share a picture, dont be to embarassed, we've all been there ;)

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I usually feed mine a couple of times a day with smaller feedings. Others may argue but I wouldn't want to eat every other day, imo once a day would be better than that schedule. Wonder how big that one feeding was...
Don't be afraid of posting a pic, if your new and just aquired the tank there are some great people here to help you get on the right track. That's what we are all here for!

OP
OP
Kyle scott2

Kyle scott2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , there is a filter down below. He said he left it in an area where lots of sunlight hit it. So it got covered. And algae is a pain in the behind(as I have discovered) my big snail is cleaning my coral a lot. So that's good. But am I basically going to have to empty the tank to fully clean the algae?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to up my wc's, pick it out by hand, tooth brush and time, lots of time. Canister filter? What do you have for a clean up crew?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the person you inherited it from use RO/DI water? How long has it been set up?

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a Maroon Clown and a PJ Cardinal. Those guys should be able to handle every other day feeding but if you plan on getting more fish soon then you would mostly want to switch everyday. Fish like tangs, angels, wrasses, and others really need to eat more often, I like 2-3 times a day with small portions.
For the algae id tell you to get a bunch of turbo snails, a dozen or so, they can really mow that stuff down. Test your water for nitrates and phosphates as they are algae fertilizers and get them down with a series of water changes if they are high. A foxface rabbit fish, the regular yellow or the red fin metallic are great for algae as well though they would need a tank size upgrade at some point.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and it’s great to have you with us!

We love pictures and thanks for posting them all

I would feed at least once per day but only small amounts so food isn’t lying around.

If your new to saltwater check the following out and read as much as you can on the hobby

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

Obviously there is an issue with algae which needs addressing but that should sort itself out as you learn and deal with the basics of the hobby, like water changes, nutrient control etc etc. Or just pull out as much as you can to start with

And anything you need to know just ask.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you running your lights? Shorter “days” grow less algae.

The tank & pictures look very nice. Fish in tanks can thrive on meager rations.
Your fish do not look at all under fed.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back