Feeding Suggestions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning R2R family!

I'm looking for a little advice on feeding frequency and types. Yes, I know this is a very "all over the place" subject but I'll think over any and all advice.

Situation: 350G tank with big sump and all associated equipment. 9 lyretail anthias, 2 mocha storm clowns, 1 blue throat trigger, 1 tiny leopard wrasse.

I have been feeding a little bit of flake in morning and at night because the clowns and wrasse prefer it and LRS reef frenzy for everyone else. We give them a little of RN pellets for an early afternoon snack.

Concern: After feeding last night, the trigger had a pretty good sized pot belly that wasn't there before and it's barely visible today. I reached out to the very well spoken about vendor on R2R and he thinks that since I'm using Reef Frenzy that I could be feeding too much.

Would I be better to feed flakes and pellets twice a day with Reef Frenzy at night? Any thoughts are truly appreciated.

Thanks!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are a bit like the hummingbirds of the reef - meaning they need to feed often. If your tank is well established with lots of microfauna they may be getting enough nutrients to get by. IME feeding at least 2x a day with anthias is best practice, sometimes more often. Note that your anthias may not eat flakes initially at least.

My philosophy is to feed a lot...keeps fish usually happy and healthy. I don't think your trigger's belly is due to the food, although they have been known to swallow whole large bits of food. I would observe and if it comes back the fish could be constipated or there could be a parasitic issue. Feeding 3+ times a day should not be an issue as long as you feed about as much as the fish will eat.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anthias hit the flakes pretty hard and most eat pellets as well. I'm wondering if it was constipation with the trigger as his belly is close to normal again
20200609_125244.jpg

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse has an enlarged belly after almost every feeding; he is very voracious, but it goes away after about 1-2 hours.

I feed twice daily and sometimes a third time in the afternoon. I would not be incredibly worried about the feeding response unless the Trigger stays that way for an extended period of time or stops eating.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed well too & especially like the LRS brands for good nutrition. My fish look healthy with vibrant colors. Sometimes as stated above, a fish might look like it has an enlarged belly for awhile. If you are ever worried about possible constipation, an easy way to help is to feed the fish a few cooled boiled green peas. A lot of fish seem to like them & a good food to try for those fish that don't eat much nori.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back