Feeding tank

jeharrisonjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I was wondering how often everyone feeds flake food and brine to there tank. I've been feeding flake at morni.g and night every day and substating brine 2x a week at night. I feel this may be to much but I don't want to starve my vlown fish, it seems like he will eat all the time. Thanks

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It really depends on the fish and fish load. Some fish require several feeding a day while others maybe just one. I feed once a day. Part of the success is what you feed as well. Brine shrimp really has no real nutritional value so you may want to replace that with something else.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on the tank. Like Rev said some fish require more food than others. Some systems can handle more load than others as well. Algae is a good indication of too much food. If you feel you may be feeding too much keep an eye on you nitrates/phosphates. Mysis is a much better choice than brine as far as nutrition goes.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's frozen, the nutrition is not usually very good with brine, same as freeze dried and flaked, however live brine is better, especially when you feed them phyto. They are very easy to culture. I myself feed instant ocean flake once a day, and sometimes add live brine, but that is mostly reserved for finicky fish

cheetofingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one clown fish in a 5 gallon tank, and I feed him Rod's frozen food every 3rd day or so. A tiny bit, the size of the head of some tweezers. When I see him scavenging around for food, I'll drop some flakes around him. I dont want to over feed the tank, because in a small tank like mine that can cause quick water quality issues.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't fed flake food in over 5 years. Flake food really isn't the best quality, to feed a reef tank. You can find much better quality in frozen foods. If you're feeding Brine Shrimp, make sure it's "enriched," otherwise it has very little nutritional value.

All that being said, I feed my fish frozen food, Rods Food, a couple of times per week. I also feed algae sheets a couple of times per week. My tanks are very mature so there is plenty of natural food in the tanks, so I don't feed as often as most. As far as my corals, I feed Fauna Marine LPS Pellets, to my Acans, Echinos and various other LPS, a couple of times per week. I also feed all of my corals with frozen cyclopeeze and Coral Frenzy a couple of times per week.

lsulle01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed twice a day for my main tank. I use a variety of frozen foods, and always add in some frozen plakton/zooplakton fot the coarl. My fish will not take flake foods. Everyone loves the fish roe. I feed live red seaweek for my tang. I make sure my feeding are small, what the fish can take in a few minutes.

OP
OP
J

jeharrisonjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I'm using omega one marine flakes with garlic. My clown fish, pajama cardnal, and fire shrimp all eat it. Twice a week I add baby brine. I'm going to switch the brine but should I stay with the flakes?

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are opportunistic feeders. This means they will beg for food whenever they have a chance. This does not necessarily mean they need to eat. This is especially true with clown fish IME.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back