Feeding time poll! What’s your pump strategy?

Do you shut down you return pump / skimmer during feed time?

• Yes, completely kill the power to the return, powerheads, and skimmer

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Drop the return pump, skimmer, and powerheads to idle speed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! Leave all pumps at normal speed for feeding

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Leave the return pump at normal speed, but slow the powerheads to idle.

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every option is valid it seems, I’m just trying to decide on a feeding method for me.

I have Blotchy Anthias and a juvenile multi bar so my feedings need to be often and are automated with an autofeeder.

My tank is a Cade 1800 S2/P at 228 gallons. Since I have a reefmat, it’s not the end of the world if the food goes into the overflow, but seems like a waste of money. Maybe the fish would eventually learn to seize the moment before that happens?

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit feed on the powerheads but don’t bother killing the return and skimmer. Dealing with potential bubbles from return filling and skimmer tuning after every feeding seems illogical

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just leave everything as is, and let the fish chase the food.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kill my powerheads, and skimmer, leave the return running normal.

I don't want all the food pushed down the overflow, so I kill the powerheads for 10 minutes. Skimmer overflows from the oils in frozen, so I kill that for an hour. Return pump is enough to blow the food around.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stop the return and skimmer because it would overflow but leave the wavemakers running.

My only concern is preventing the food going straight down the overflow. I want it blowing all around the tank so all the fish can get to it.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember I turn off the powerheads. I have a cyano in my sand but the fish cant eat the food fast enough.

But when I turn the powerheads back on I usually run them at 90% for a minute to get everything stirred up.

I keep the return running as my demon clown fish needs to eat to.:astonished-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ritual for me is 9pm return and skimmer turn off, (2) out of (4) powerheads drop to 0% and slowly ramp up over the course of an hour. 10pm the return is back on, powerheads are back up, but I leave the skimmer off until 1am. 1 hour no filter, 4 hours no skimmer.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too cheap to smartify my pumps for feeding and too lazy and forgetful to do it manually. they get what they get. I did make a feeding cup that thaws everything slowly giving the whole tank time to get to it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back