Feeding time poll! What’s your pump strategy?

Do you shut down you return pump / skimmer during feed time?

  • Yes, completely kill the power to the return, powerheads, and skimmer

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Drop the return pump, skimmer, and powerheads to idle speed.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! Leave all pumps at normal speed for feeding

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Leave the return pump at normal speed, but slow the powerheads to idle.

    Votes: 5 31.3%

  • Total voters
    16

Fasthandsslowmind

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 19, 2021
Messages
244
Reaction score
247
Location
Los Lunas, NM
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every option is valid it seems, I’m just trying to decide on a feeding method for me.

I have Blotchy Anthias and a juvenile multi bar so my feedings need to be often and are automated with an autofeeder.

My tank is a Cade 1800 S2/P at 228 gallons. Since I have a reefmat, it’s not the end of the world if the food goes into the overflow, but seems like a waste of money. Maybe the fish would eventually learn to seize the moment before that happens?
 
I hit feed on the powerheads but don’t bother killing the return and skimmer. Dealing with potential bubbles from return filling and skimmer tuning after every feeding seems illogical
 
I just leave everything as is, and let the fish chase the food.
 
I kill my powerheads, and skimmer, leave the return running normal.

I don't want all the food pushed down the overflow, so I kill the powerheads for 10 minutes. Skimmer overflows from the oils in frozen, so I kill that for an hour. Return pump is enough to blow the food around.
 
I stop the return and skimmer because it would overflow but leave the wavemakers running.

My only concern is preventing the food going straight down the overflow. I want it blowing all around the tank so all the fish can get to it.
 
If I remember I turn off the powerheads. I have a cyano in my sand but the fish cant eat the food fast enough.

But when I turn the powerheads back on I usually run them at 90% for a minute to get everything stirred up.

I keep the return running as my demon clown fish needs to eat to.:astonished-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy:
 
The ritual for me is 9pm return and skimmer turn off, (2) out of (4) powerheads drop to 0% and slowly ramp up over the course of an hour. 10pm the return is back on, powerheads are back up, but I leave the skimmer off until 1am. 1 hour no filter, 4 hours no skimmer.
 
I'm too cheap to smartify my pumps for feeding and too lazy and forgetful to do it manually. they get what they get. I did make a feeding cup that thaws everything slowly giving the whole tank time to get to it.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new