Feeding wild caught Percula Clownfish

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I've got some clownfish who are right now giving me a lot of trouble feeding them. I love them more than anything though and want to do everything I can to make sure they thrive in my tank. Here's how my tank got built out and where everything stands today.

I spent the last couple months picking out parts and setting up my tank. I let it cycle with DrTims nitrifying bacteria + their ammonium chloride. A week later after some testing the cycle was complete. I let it run for the rest of the month dosing small amounts once every week just to be sure. I then did a big water change in preparation for my clownfish who I got last Saturday. A beautiful pair of 2 Percula Clownfish.

percula.jpg

[Don't these clowns look kinda percula? ;)]
If you're still reading after that horrible pun...

My tank parameters were at the following when I added them:
Temperature = 78.0 F (swings +/-0.5F, Fluval E heater)
Salinity (measured with a refractometer ) = 1.025g
Alkalinity (salifert test kit ) = 9.9 dKH
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate (API test kit) = 0/0/0

I didn't bother measuring for phosphate/calcium at the start since the tank was running empty until the fish were added.

I acclimatized my two clownfish to bring them up to my tank temperature before I gave them a freshwater dip so I could start quarantine process (I've read on here that wild caught clownfish are very susceptible to all sorts of internal parasites/brook/marine velvet and so on). I set up a timer for 5 minutes after aerating the freshwater dip for around an hour before hand. This was by far the most nerve wracking part. I decided to pull them out at the 4 minute mark as they seemed to be coming up and gasping for air. They were then introduced to the quarantine tank.

On Tuesday I added API General Cure (Prazi + Metronidazole). Ever since I've noticed their appetite plummet. Previously they would peck at New Life Spectrum pellets but they stopped doing that. I've read that praziquantel can make them lose their appetite so I didn't worry too much but on Wednesday they didn't eat at all so I ran out and got some LRS Reef frenzy. Maybe frozen food would do the trick I thought. It was mostly hit and miss. Sometimes they'll peck at it and then just spit it out. Wednesday night they ravenously ate some of the seaweed in it. A whole gulp! Progress I thought. Come this morning their appetite seems to be gone again. Flakes/pellets/frozen brine shrimp. Nothing really seems to work. When feeding I turn off my return pump and the wave maker. They usually appear to host a little corner by the wave maker but when everything turns off rarely do they think "ooh food!". Instead, they take it as an opportunity to wander around the tank... ;Rage

Now I turn to the great collective consciousness of reef2reef. How do I save these two clowns who seem to be actively thwarting my every attempt to feed them :(

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have to try some live brine until they adjust more to captivity. This is common in wild caught fish. You can also try dosing food in a garlic supplement, most of the time this helps stimulate their appetite and begin associating the things you do before you feed them (turning off the pumps, opening the lid, etc.) as the dinner bell :)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's super common for clowns to not eat first few days new to tank, I see this all the time.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I thought of when I read your QT/acclimation procedure...”poor babies.” Please don’t misunderstand... you didn’t do anything wrong. There are lots of people that QT the exact way. But if you think about it.... they have been taken from the ocean, flown across the world, put in a square box at a fish store, bagged, driven to your house, dumped in fresh water and then put in water with all kinds of stuff in it. If it were me, I wouldn’t feel much like eating either. Like others have said, try some live food but your biggest friend here is patience. Give them a little time. Good luck!

OP
OP
Icylder

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have to try some live brine until they adjust more to captivity. This is common in wild caught fish. You can also try dosing food in a garlic supplement, most of the time this helps stimulate their appetite and begin associating the things you do before you feed them (turning off the pumps, opening the lid, etc.) as the dinner bell :)

Gotcha! I'll have to look around at my LFS to see if they have live brine. Do you have any recommendations for garlic supplements? Seachem Garlic guard or another?

OP
OP
Icylder

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I thought of when I read your QT/acclimation procedure...”poor babies.” Please don’t misunderstand... you didn’t do anything wrong. There are lots of people that QT the exact way. But if you think about it.... they have been taken from the ocean, flown across the world, put in a square box at a fish store, bagged, driven to your house, dumped in fresh water and then put in water with all kinds of stuff in it. If it were me, I wouldn’t feel much like eating either. Like others have said, try some live food but your biggest friend here is patience. Give them a little time. Good luck!

If there's any other way to have changed things please do tell me. I mostly read through the sticky posts on quarantining Humblefish had posted. When I did the freshwater dip I saw a fair number of flukes go flying all around in the container. Deciding to medicate them and give them relief even if it was more stressful to them seemed like the better option from what I've read.

I'll try to be patient as you said. Thank you for taking your time to help me out.
Quick question, how do you like the tunze nano ATO? I'm currently doing top offs manually which I know isn't ideal. I noticed you have it in your signature in comments.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, but it's not easy just watching and waiting ...

I understand, just take some relief in knowing this is very common first few days and I notice this particularly common for clowns.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's any other way to have changed things please do tell me. I mostly read through the sticky posts on quarantining Humblefish had posted. When I did the freshwater dip I saw a fair number of flukes go flying all around in the container. Deciding to medicate them and give them relief even if it was more stressful to them seemed like the better option from what I've read.

I'll try to be patient as you said. Thank you for taking your time to help me out.
Quick question, how do you like the tunze nano ATO? I'm currently doing top offs manually which I know isn't ideal. I noticed you have it in your signature in comments.

Humblefish gives great advice and a good qt method I too would follow

OP
OP
Icylder

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, just take some relief in knowing this is very common first few days and I notice this particularly common for clowns.

Patience seems to be the consensus. Maybe I'll go ahead and move everything to a build thread after things have settled down.

Thank you everyone for your kind help!

OP
OP
Icylder

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not criticizing what you did. In fact, in the end you probably saved them. When I read your procedure, the first thing that occurred to me was that all that might have been a shock to them. So give them time. Clowns are a hardy bunch....

As for the ATO.... I love it. I have the nano running on a 60 gallon tank, (I bought it for a 15g, then upgraded) but it’s never given me any trouble. It works flawlessly. I did have a problem in the beginning ... I don’t even remember what the problem was.... but I called Tunze and they sent me a new pump. No questions asked. Their customer service is amazing.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! I'll have to look around at my LFS to see if they have live brine. Do you have any recommendations for garlic supplements? Seachem Garlic guard or another?
I use Kent's Marine garlic but I think any will do

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns very often seem to be curious and explore new to tank, as long as they are healthy and disease free I'd bet they start eating today or tomorrow w/out any special effort, but of course go w/ your gut.

Mine love NLS pellets as well as mysis and rods, mega marine

OP
OP
Icylder

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A happy update!

6 days after the first dose of Praziquantel+Metronidazole I did a water change (this Sunday night). They ate ravenously today on both LRS Reef frenzy and NLS spectrum pellets. Re-dosed afterwards before lights out tonight for the second and final round of Prazi+Metro. It's so comforting to see them eating well.

I'm sure there's a lot of these "oh no my clowns aren't eating" threads. Hopefully this can be another comforting tale for someone else down the line. Patience is indeed the key. Thank you, everyone.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try leaving your pumps on during feeding. It may intice them to chase "prey"

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome news on the clowns eating. I was going to suggest feeding live blackworms (some places call them bloodworms but they are not). I have never seen a fish refuse those and my Picassos used to have lots of good eggs when feed those.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back