Female clownfish chasing and nipping male

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently posted to figure out what one of my clowns is the female clown and the one that seemed like the female is definitely the male because he just started getting chased around and nipped at by the female why did this just happen so suddenly also now he is at the surface of the water swimming frantically! what should I do?

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let them fight it out but keep a close eye on them. As they are similar size, one clown will bully the other in order to get more food and become the dominant clown, the other will then become a male and one will become female.

The females can be so nasty, but it’s just part of their behaviour. Just keep an eye and if you see any damage to one of the clowns it might be worth putting it in a breeder box and seeing how they get on over a day or two.

aquivers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same thing going on in my tank as well besides the frantic swimming at the surface but I’m just keeping a close eye on them because for the most part they swim together & have been doing well. Think it’s just part of the process

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What breeds?
Keep a very close eye on it. This can go one of two ways, the male submits or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t or the female rejects it, you will have to separate as the female will likely kill it. Sounds at the point where I’d lean on the side of separating though.

aquivers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What breeds?
Keep a very close eye on it. This can go one of two ways, the male submits or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t or the female rejects it, you will have to separate as the female will likely kill it. Sounds at the point where I’d lean on the side of separating though.
I have ocellaris

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back