Fenbendazole bath timing/length for flukes

FrenchAngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions regarding Fenbendazole for treating prazi resistant flukes. Within the last day I did a bath for about 12 hours to treat a batch of fish using Fenbendazole. I am assuming that the beginning of the bath would be equivalent to the timing of the 'first dose' of prazi if I were using prazipro instead? I looked at the calculator in the sticky threads, and for 33 ppt and 26 degrees Celsius it says I can do the 'second dose' six days later after the time of the 'first dose.' Does this mean that I can start the second Fenbendazole bath 6 days after the starting point of the 'first bath?'

Second question: I have a radiant wrasse who pulled through the first bath, but wasn't looking so hot after being removed and transferred to the next clean tank. He looked weak and listless for some time and I was somewhat worried about him and the toll the bath took on him. Thankfully after a few hours he was up and swimming pretty strong again. I feel he might be able to make it through the second bath, but just to take it a little easier on him I am wondering if I could safely do less then 12 hours in the second bath to remove any potential fluke hatchlings. I have read that prazipro (when it 'works' on flukes that is) will release the flukes from the fish within the first hour after dosing. Obviously I will run the Fenbendazole bath for more then an hour to play it safer, but was just wondering if I could cut the bath a little shorter then 12 hours for the wrasses's sake.

If the resident fish disease experts could chime in that would be helpful!!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this information on fenbendazole by Humblefish for the info you requested.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad

edit: Oops pathot984. I guess I posted asking for help from reefsquad at the same time you responded. ;Facepalm .

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a good idea to be watchful during treatment with meds. Every fish "can" react differently. So your concern for your wrasse is a valid one. That being said, the duration of treatment for flukes is a bit unique due to the variety of flukes (3) that your fish may be infested with. The flukes on the skin usually come off quickly. But the flukes that may be deep within the gills or eyes can be more difficult to fully eradicate. Thinking is that the surrounding tissues in the gills and eyes slow the migration of the med to the flukes. So the longer duration vs say a brief "bath" is necessary in many cases to achieve the desired results. Best of luck with your wrasse.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a good idea to be watchful during treatment with meds. Every fish "can" react differently. So your concern for your wrasse is a valid one. That being said, the duration of treatment for flukes is a bit unique due to the variety of flukes (3) that your fish may be infested with. The flukes on the skin usually come off quickly. But the flukes that may be deep within the gills or eyes can be more difficult to fully eradicate. Thinking is that the surrounding tissues in the gills and eyes slow the migration of the med to the flukes. So the longer duration vs say a brief "bath" is necessary in many cases to achieve the desired results. Best of luck with your wrasse.

Big G., will longer or repeated treatments with PraziPro do the trick for resistant flukes?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big G., will longer or repeated treatments with PraziPro do the trick for resistant flukes?
Assuming that the prescribed treatment protocols have been used, just like with antibiotics, it's often best to switch to another med when results are disappointing.

OP
OP
F

FrenchAngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys! So to sum it up, another bath going the full 12 hours is the way to go to ensure the flukes are gone. And also, starting the second bath 6 days after the start of the first bath is ok as well? (I know the sticky thread says 7 days, but the calculator in that same thread said 6 days would work based on salinity/temp for attacking the potential fluke hatchlings)

RegalAngel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What concentration of fenbendazole are you using during the 12 hour bath?
I have used it in a 10g container in the past...do not recall at what conc. but it did not help...fish died a day later.
Wondering as I just lost my regal angel of two months to gill flukes and was using praziprp at recommended amount every 5 to 7 days for several weeks...but of no value. Not the first time this has occurred either...have lost many expensive fish over the past year to these flukes.
Seems it is either the flukes or velvet...have lost three 6.5" achilles tangs this year to velvet.

OP
OP
F

FrenchAngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it in a 10g container in the past...do not recall at what conc. but it did not help...fish died a day later.
Wondering as I just lost my regal angel of two months to gill flukes and was using praziprp at recommended amount every 5 to 7 days for several weeks...but of no value. Not the first time this has occurred either...have lost many expensive fish over the past year to these flukes.
Seems it is either the flukes or velvet...have lost three 6.5" achilles tangs this year to velvet.
I am using the product for fenbendazole recommended in this thread (click on 'fenbendazole' and it takes you to the product):
It comes with three packets in each jar. Each packet has 250 mg.
I put 5 gallons of water in a bucket and then added 2 of these packets for a total of 500 mg. This gave me a concentration of 100 mg/gallon, which is a bit higher then the recommended dose of 95 mg/gallon.
So far my fish are ok but their appetite is a bit down. Hope they get hungry again!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult to know which of these kills fish as both flukes and velvet usually attack the gills, unseen, and do tremendous damage. Often killing the fish without ever displaying the usual observable symptoms. A sample of the gills viewed by microscope is often the only way to determine. Sorry for your losses. :(

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that the prescribed treatment protocols have been used, just like with antibiotics, it's often best to switch to another med when results are disappointing.

Thanks, Big G. I have not run across PraziPro resistant flukes that I know of (knock on wood), but it's always good to have a back up plan.

RegalAngel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult to know which of these kills fish as both flukes and velvet usually attack the gills, unseen, and do tremendous damage. Often killing the fish without ever displaying the usual observable symptoms. A sample of the gills viewed by microscope is often the only way to determine. Sorry for your losses. :(

The regal angle and decilivis both exhibited the typical symptoms of gill flukes with head shake, quick movements, and then zombie movement over a period of 1 to 2 weeks. Praz was worthless.
The achilles' were all staying in a water stream due to the velvet in the gills and then succumbing after several days. Used CP in a QT but not working since bacteria are established and rendering the CP ineffective after some time.

Probabjy have lost close to 20 fish over the past year...have one fish survivor in my 300 DT alone.

RegalAngel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11/14, 1800 … Transferred my Purple Tang from the 300g DT (only fish left in it) to a 10g/8g water tank for a 12 hr bath in Fenbendazole...3, 250gm packets in the 8g water for about a 100mg/gal solution. I have a 4' long 1" pvc with a heater and small circulation pump that is submerged in the tank...normally in my ATO water 35g container.
11/15, 0600... No ill effects after 12-hr bath and transferred to a nearby 40g water QT for a 30-day Copper Power treatment. Starting with Cu at 0.91 ppm and >>>> 2.0 ppm over 5 days.

This seems like a viable method for incoming fish (all mine come from LA Divers Den) to rid them of Flukes first with Fenbendazole and then any velvet, ich, etc. with Cu.

Back