Fickle's Lowrider (30g Breeder)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't normally do this but I decided it was a good way to get suggestions from other members. My previous tank setup had some issues with it and my corals were all going down hill fast! I ended up removing all my corals and placing them in a temporary 20g while I redid this setup. Now I am 98% done with the setup and I'm just working on stocking it with corals and fish. Enough of the background nonsense, join me as I log my tank progress. Feel free to chime in with suggestions or comments.

[size=+2]Fickle's Lowrider[/size]

Title2.jpg

[size=+1]Tank:[/size]
30g Breeder 36long x 12tall x 16wide.
FTS1.jpg

[size=+1]Inhabitants:[/size]
Flameback Angel aka "The Boss"
pygmy_sideshot1.jpg

2x Blue-Streak Cardinal and Chalk Bass (who thinks he is a cardinal)
Others1.jpg

Plus a cleaner shrimp and some snails....

[size=+1]Equipment:[/size]

- Flow/Current
2x Tunze 6025 nanostreams (both with shroud mod, 1 with neck mod)
Tunzes1.jpg

- Lights
Aquactinics 5x39w T5 fixture with
2 Aquablues
2 Blue plus
1 Super Actinic

In the following order
Aquablue
Blueplus
Super Actinic
Blueplus
Aquablue

- Protein Skimmer and Surface Cleaner
Tunze Nano Reefpack 200
Surface cleaner has filter floss and phosphate remover in it.
ded0a936bc.jpg

- Canister Filter
Phosban Reactor with Carbon and a MJ 900.

- Heater
One is a jebo the other is a AGA or Aqueon.

- Return Pump
Mag3 (Thanks Gastone) that was being used for a Remora Pro. I just got a Mag2 in the mail today that will replace the Mag3 which is way overpowered for a return.

- Sump
This was my first real sump setup so I learned a lot from working on it. 20g Long with three baffles in it and all the equipment above (not the lights of course) plus a few pieces of live rock, an emerald crab and "Sumpy" my Talbot's Damsel (Sumpy pics and story coming soon).
Sump1.jpg

[size=+1]Tank Pics:[/size]
- I finished redoing my aquascaping a few days ago so I haven't gotten a chance to place my corals where I want them. If you look closely you will notice that some of my SPS look dead or dying. I lost a lot of corals while I was having some tank issues and I am still working on getting them back to life. The corals that are currently in the tank do still have some life in them, but I'm just waiting for everything to come back.

Left Side:
left_side1.jpg

Center:
Center_tank1.jpg

Right Side:
right_side1.jpg

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RBTA:
RBTA1.jpg

My Favorite Angle:
Angle1.jpg

Ricordeas:
G_Ricordea.jpg

Ricordea.jpg

Next update:
Future coral purchases
Future fish purchases
Tank Progress
More about Sumpy the Talbot's Damsel

BTW, what do you guys think of the Club-Zoa tank Decal? It doesn't have the bosses approval yet, he wants a clear backing :D
Main_Pic11.jpg

Last edited:

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Luciano! Love the open aquascape. That sandbed should look real nice once the frag plugs are cleared. Do you have any shots of the overflow? Self drilled? I just set up a 30brdr myself so I'll be tagging along...:)

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!!! I LOVE the gold chain on the fish. You should give him some diamonds though. :)

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Luciano! Love the open aquascape. That sandbed should look real nice once the frag plugs are cleared. Do you have any shots of the overflow? Self drilled? I just set up a 30brdr myself so I'll be tagging along...:)

Good question. I drilled the tank my self for a 1inch bulkhead. I cut two pieces of black acrylic and glued them together at a right angle. I then glued some black eggcrate on top to create the overflow part.

overflow.jpg

I am working on getting rid of the frags on the sand bed. Who knows, perhaps I will setup a frag grow out in my sump. :D Sorry about the sloppy PVC primer work. I figured that the normal user wouldn't see it and it was my first time using that stuff.

Last edited:

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted a flame back angel, but afraid of him polyp picking and not being able to get him out-maybe in the frag tank, hmm....-sweet fish!!

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted a flame back angel, but afraid of him polyp picking and not being able to get him out-maybe in the frag tank, hmm....-sweet fish!!

He is a taster and not a destroyer. He roams the tank and picks at things left and right but never does damage to any coral, only mouths them for a taste. That flame back angel was the only fish that did not come down with ich when I introduced my last wrasse. If he ever found a coral that he enjoyed eating I would let him have a nice dinner and cross that coral off my list of things to keep.

Keep in mind this is my experience so I don't want people to go out blindly buying flame back angels.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! Awesome tank thread and likewise on the tank! I love the open look bro! Now we need some frag closeups!

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! The aquascape is awesome. I was gonna get a flameback angel but I got they cherub instead. I love them both though.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cherup angel in the past. A great fish but he got really aggressive against my clowns. He was close to my female clown , and she was close to him, but once they realized that things would work out he really took it personally and would chase her around her anemone all day!!!!!!!

Here is a before shot....
trio.jpg

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumpy the Talbot's Damsel.

A local reefer was selling a bunch of Talbots Damsels and they were advertised as a friendly and schooling. Being cautious because of the Damsel name I decided to do some research and all the sites that came up said that they were the friendliest damsel you can get.

So I thought this was a good sign and I picked up 4 of them and placed them into my tank. Things went well for the first week as "The Boss" chased them around and let them know that his was his tank. After that first week they setup territories and there were not enough areas for everybody. So I woke up one day to find Sumpy hovering in the corner of the tank with most of his fins bit off. I scooped him out and put him in my sump, hence the name Sumpy.

I eventually drained my display and caught the three remaining damsels. They made their way to a LFS, but I did keep sumpy. His sump tank mate is an emerald crab who I think will go back to the main display tomorrow.
Sumpy_Emerald.jpg

I really like Sumpy so I considering setting up a nano for him.

Some Pics of the other fish:
Chalk Bass:
chalk_bass.jpg

The Trio:
trio-1.jpg

My list of things to get.
Tail Spot Blenny
nano138.jpg

Eventually a clown pair... any suggestions?

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tailspot blenny yet, but I am working on it. I do have a question for anybody who can help. I have something coming off almost all the items in my tank in a spore or tiny circular shape. It is brown in color and seems to release off the surface of things in my tank in steady layers. when I turn my powerheads back on they join together and float away and look similar to when you wipe cobwebs off the corner of the wall. Here is a pic showing the spores/algae in action. Check the sides of the eggcrate.

PPE_Day_1.jpg

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed if the move at all on there own, like micropods? No sure what it could be without a macro shot....

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it doesn't move it just releases off the surface of things in my tank. It is almost like flowers release pollen into the air, but over the entire tank. It isn't really noticeable until I turn the powerheads off because the flow keeps it from floating above the surface.

When I say surface I am talking about Live Rocks, Powerheads, Eggcrate, Frag mounts but nothing alive like corals.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No blenny just yet, but I am still on the wait list for one. I did however take some pics of some of my zoas/palys. I will have more coming in the next few days. Please excuse the non Nikon/Canon photo skills :D . Keep in mind these are not exact names, just close likenesses.

Variable Star
variable_star-1.jpg

Rainbows
rainbow.jpg

Reds
Red_Zoas.jpg

Blues
Blues.jpg

Purple Deaths.... which look brown deaths from the side, put deep purple if you look down on them.
PD.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back