Fight in tank. Advice needed!

jharrower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, bought a jester goby yesterday to add into the tank (Evo 52 litre/13.5 gallon). I already have an orchid dottyback and two clownfish.

This morning his back and top fins seem to have been nibbled/attacked. Any advice? Is it first night type issues or a bigger issue and I should take him out and take him back?

One before and two after photos attached. You can see how his back fin and top fin have been attacked, he's also staying in one corner completely.

IMG_6547.PNG IMG_6550.jpg IMG_6551.jpg

Last edited:

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest opinion - Theres not much you can do but remove.

You have a tiny tank with a territorial species that generally requires much more space than you have alone - Then you also have two clownfish in there too.

I suspect its purely territorial and unlikely to go away.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. My orchid killed a damsel in a 20g tank. The fish you have are unlikely to play nice in a small space.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally agree with the above recommendations. However., if you're set in keeping other fish, you can try the mirror trick. Just attach a mirror to the side of the tank. If the current tank mates are occupied chasing themselves for territory you might be OK. This doesn't work on all fish.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few fish can be happy in a 13 gallon, putting 4 fish in there is way too much fish, its cruel to the fish actually. Dottyback is a naturally aggressive fish that should be in a 20 gallon minimum.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back