Fiji pink or special grade?

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current Fiji pink is not the same as years ago fiji pink. It is much finer now that when I used it 10 years ago. I bought it for my new tank last year and was disappointed at how fine it is. I really don't like it and it always looks like crap. :( One day I'll change it out to something more course, just not looking forward to that task or it would be done already.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s the update: The pumps are here and I am running them at 100% as I am writing this. There’s no flying sand except a bit in the back but now nothing! What a sign of relief for now lol.

To test the flow, I use a net and was able to see and feel that the net was flowing around where my corals will be.

now the pumps are silent BUT the quality is way worst than the OW and the worst parts are, the glue on the magnet was all over the place. I don’t care cosmetically but just worry it will rust when and if water gets inside.

check out the video and pictures.

C2925B75-A57F-4F35-B3C3-52FB5AEF25A6.jpeg D60F6174-0CB0-435E-BA4F-D35ABDC11EFD.jpeg

edit: I was happy too early lol. Upon closer inspection, there are flying sand in the back! Dang it. Will put some special grade on the top and see

Attachments

• IMG_8717.MOV
    30.3 MB
Last edited:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 100% Fiji pink and 2 MP40 mounted on the back wall instead of on the sides. I can see sand dunes. My tank is Redsea reefer 250. Might be either my pumps too strong for the tank, or maybe if I mount them on the sides will help. Both pumps running on speed #2. I also have M2 pump running at speed #5 so I don’t know if this contributes to sand dunes as well.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 100% Fiji pink and 2 MP40 mounted on the back wall instead of on the sides. I can see sand dunes. My tank is Redsea reefer 250. Might be either my pumps too strong for the tank, or maybe if I mount them on the sides will help. Both pumps running on speed #2. I also have M2 pump running at speed #5 so I don’t know if this contributes to sand dunes as well.
Are you plan on change it out, adding a more corse sand or just leave it? I want to save the hassle of removing all the sand, rocks and don’t want to waste the sane so I am thinking adding 40lb of special grade on top. My worry is that the sands eventually will mixed together even tho I don’t vacuum clean and the smaller sand will still got kicked up?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you plan on change it out, adding a more corse sand or just leave it? I want to save the hassle of removing all the sand, rocks and don’t want to waste the sane so I am thinking adding 40lb of special grade on top. My worry is that the sands eventually will mixed together even tho I don’t vacuum clean and the smaller sand will still got kicked up?

no I will leave it. I like Fiji pink more. Also, the sand dunes issue is not that bad. I think if I move the MP40 to the side, it will be much better but I prefer clean look on the glass. You can’t win everything I guess.

if you add special grade and mix it, fish and invert will mix it around and eventually you will have the same issue as the lighter sands might still get blown to sides and etc.and you will lose the Fiji pink look. It is either go with special grade or Fiji pink. That’s my opinion.

See the dunes in my tank?
image.jpg

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I will leave it. I like Fiji pink more. Also, the sand dunes issue is not that bad. I think if I move the MP40 to the side, it will be much better but I prefer clean look on the glass. You can’t win everything I guess.

if you add special grade and mix it, fish and invert will mix it around and eventually you will have the same issue as the lighter sands might still get blown to sides and etc.and you will lose the Fiji pink look. It is either go with special grade or Fiji pink. That’s my opinion.

See the dunes in my tank?
image.jpg

agree. I will wait and see if other members had luck with mixing the sand. Really don’t want to swap it out completely lol. Nice rockwork with life rocks.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay. So you need to be able to full blast your pumps. I don’t think it will work with Fiji pink. I don’t know maybe it also depends on the size of the tank
Yup, will see if adding a layer of special grade will do the trick. If not, oh boy then I will have to separate the sand lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back