Filamentous diatoms?

plumbdogmillionaire

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2025
Messages
72
Reaction score
35
Location
alabama
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m pretty sure these are Filamentous diatoms based on a post from ReefBum with a very similar picture. Tank is 3 months old, algae has been there about 6 weeks. I have scrubbed multiple times. I ordered a Salifert Silicate test kit that will hopefully let me see if my RODI water has lots of silicates in it. I’m really looking for recommendations on what to do. Scrub and wait it out, 3 day blackout, chemicals?
20260312_174811_3E3F66BF-650D-42B6-B89C-DC5B4628F961.png
 
Looks like the start of some hair algae. Do you have any snails or other inverts to eat the algae?
 
I’ve read many snails will not eat GHA if it’s too long/thick. Manually export will help a lot - siphon and scrub with a toothbrush as much as you can and export during water changes.
 
How old is the tank? I had a round similar to this when tank was 2-3 months old and it was Dino’s. But daily cleanings and removal along with getting nutrients back in line cleared it up quick. Place a sample under microscope to confirm what it is.
 
I’m pretty sure these are Filamentous diatoms based on a post from ReefBum with a very similar picture. Tank is 3 months old, algae has been there about 6 weeks. I have scrubbed multiple times. I ordered a Salifert Silicate test kit that will hopefully let me see if my RODI water has lots of silicates in it. I’m really looking for recommendations on what to do. Scrub and wait it out, 3 day blackout, chemicals?
20260312_174811_3E3F66BF-650D-42B6-B89C-DC5B4628F961.png
Looks like a filamentous bacteria growth
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new