File fish

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a file fish for aiptasia. I have a fire fish, green clown goby and 6-line. Not sure if it a good idea to add him in but heard it’s ok to. What’s your thoughts? 29 gallon

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I want to add a file fish for aiptasia. I have a fire fish, green clown goby and 6-line. Not sure if it a good idea to add him in but heard it’s ok to. What’s your thoughts? 29 gallon
Should not be an issue, However they are hit and miss- the leathermat which is the one you want may or may not eat the aptasia but rather turn on your coral such as zoa and softies and munch.
If its just a few aptasia.... keep it simple :
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Should not be an issue, However they are hit and miss- the leathermat which is the one you want may or may not eat the aptasia but rather turn on your coral such as zoa and softies and munch.
If its just a few aptasia.... keep it simple :
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
It’s not a few. They’re all over. Was going to get aiptasia-F and the a file to help maintain it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I

It’s not a few. They’re all over. Was going to get aiptasia-F and the a file to help maintain it.
Again- you will pose that one risk. Consider a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again- you will pose that one risk. Consider a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png
My tanks not that big

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Berghia nudibranchs might be worth a shot. They don't care about tank size. Not sure if the sixline will hunt them, though- best to look into that.

Molly Miller blennies supposedly eat aiptasia. Never kept one myself, but it may be worth a shot. They should be reef-safe and leave everything else alone pretty well.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't those get to more like 5"? If there's a smaller variant, I'd imagine it's a pretty darned active variant, from what I've seen of wild butterflyfish.

Back