File size

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way I can upload a photo without having to resize it?

Looks like something has changed.

This is a 1.4MB upload. 1280x854 px. Not sure what the limit is

Attachments

• _M2A0875 (1).jpeg
    _M2A0875 (1).jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 59

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been on a forum that allowed unlimited file sizes for uploads for very long. They have to pay for the storage and bandwidth. If you really want the ability to post large pics you have to pay to host them somewhere and link to them with the image function. I use SmugMug.

IMG_5133-X3.jpg

To see the pic in high resolution you have to click on it.

OP
OP
T

thefastesturtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been on a forum that allowed unlimited file sizes for uploads for very long. They have to pay for the storage and bandwidth. If you really want the ability to post large pics you have to pay to host them somewhere and link to them with the image function. I use SmugMug.

IMG_5133-X3.jpg

I dont think I want to pay to be able to post a bigger picture. Didnt know they had to pay for bandwidth. Figured as big and good a forum as this is, it would be a non issue. I don't mess with forums much.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5133-X3.jpg

Sure, but my 1.4MB upload was downsized to 160KB by the forum which is fine.

Obviously the system should not keep and display a 50MB file because it affects image download speed, but it should
permit the upload and resize it.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't an issue until digital cameras started growing in megapixels and produced large files. I have no idea what the image size limitations are here because I never use that function. I hardly ever post large image sizes anyway because it punishes people with slow internet speeds waiting for large images to load.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it says for file size under create an album.
Max. dimensions2,048px x 2,048pxMax. file size200 MB
This doesnt seem like much of a restriction.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it says for file size under create an album.
Max. dimensions2,048px x 2,048pxMax. file size200 MB
This doesnt seem like much of a restriction.
_M2A0837.jpg

It seems that I can upload reasonable resolution into the media gallery, I just need to write down the image specs :)
The image gets resized in the forums.

OP
OP
T

thefastesturtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nvm I think I just figured it out. My camera was on a setting that i guess makes the pixels better? Idk but I think I fixed it.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, it is not the file size in Mb that matters, it is the pixel count. Modern DSLR and the newer mirrorless cameras take EXTREMELY high def pictures. This translates into enormous pixel counts.

Most of us, myself included, have always equated "file size" to be in terms of Mb of the actual file. Apparently, this is not the case. I recently uploaded a 10Mb file that loaded just fine, where an image that was only 3.5 Mb failed.

The suggestion of hosting your full HD image on an outside server is a good one. You can upload the full sized image there and link it here. This way, you can showcase your image easily and still have the user option to view the full image.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, it is not the file size in Mb that matters, it is the pixel count. Modern DSLR and the newer mirrorless cameras take EXTREMELY high def pictures. This translates into enormous pixel counts.

Most of us, myself included, have always equated "file size" to be in terms of Mb of the actual file. Apparently, this is not the case. I recently uploaded a 10Mb file that loaded just fine, where an image that was only 3.5 Mb failed.

The suggestion of hosting your full HD image on an outside server is a good one. You can upload the full sized image there and link it here. This way, you can showcase your image easily and still have the user option to view the full image.
Link to comment on posting in Flickr in another thread

Post in thread 'Image Size TOOO BIG'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/image-size-tooo-big.887257/post-9831483

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which makes absolutely no sense :)

If the file size has been reduced by virtue of compression the actual pixel count is a useless metric for determining whether a file is accepted.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which makes absolutely no sense :)

If the file size has been reduced by virtue of compression the actual pixel count is a useless metric for determining whether a file is accepted.

That is an argument for the web designer... I am simply stating what I have read in another topic about this. I don't even know for sure if it is true.

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shocked no one from r2r has responded to clear any of this up. This thread just makes it more confusing to me.

Screenshot_20220707-151354_Gallery.jpg

This file says its too big... is it the 16mb or 9kx7k?
The picture was taken with this 64mp camera setting as u was trying to figure out how people take good coral pics
Screenshot_20220707-151441_Camera.jpg

This last file is acceptable... it is way less mb... but if the limit is 200 then that shouldn't matter. And much less pixels I guess that other number is... but either way still twice as high as it says is acceptable if you're only supposed to have 2k.. so what's the deal here?
Screenshot_20220707-151413_Gallery.jpg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm checking the last limits set and will let you know. I'm on multiple forums which have different limitations and with the latest mobile phones you can't really reduce image quality to restricted level ls of some forums, for this I just take a screen shot of the picture I want to post.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back