OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for filefish owners - has anyone kept the whitespotted pygmy filefish? Rudarius ercodes
I have had a lot of filefish come through but I cant say I have worked with this guy! I hope someone has as it would be awesome to hear about their temperaments.

Sharkie_Conch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of our original fish was a file!! Charlie the Unicorn was a favorite in our house...until he took a liking to our hammers and torches. Never saw him eat aiptasia but we didn't ever have much of it either. We banished him to our 25g and he ruled that tank for months. Came back from a week long scuba vacation and he was dying :( not sure what happened.

He was by far one of the highlights for anyone who watched our videos or visited our house. I'd get another, but don't want to risk the coral munching again. Maybe down the line with a more mature reef!!

IMG_20210726_061539_949.jpg

clarimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of our original fish was a file!! Charlie the Unicorn was a favorite in our house...until he took a liking to our hammers and torches. Never saw him eat aiptasia but we didn't ever have much of it either. We banished him to our 25g and he ruled that tank for months. Came back from a week long scuba vacation and he was dying :( not sure what happened.

He was by far one of the highlights for anyone who watched our videos or visited our house. I'd get another, but don't want to risk the coral munching again. Maybe down the line with a more mature reef!!

IMG_20210726_061539_949.jpg
did yiura ever just start plumping up?? mine is super fat

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for filefish owners - has anyone kept the whitespotted pygmy filefish? Rudarius ercodes
I had a pair for a while, super hardy and entertaining. They would eat mysis and pellets, unfortunately I lost them in a velvet outbreak.

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every other type of fish seems to have a "Lovers" thread... Why not our poor little Filefish friends? They are one of the most used utility fish in our hobby and get along with just about everyone on the reef. (Unless you are an invert!)

There are some really cool filefish out there, do you have one? I will get us started with the most common and obvious:

The Matted Filefish or Aiptasia Easting Filefish!

Matted Filefish.jpg

cool fish! I just got a pygmy one today and he’s awesome. Made a little gorgonian garden in the corner of the tank and hes already sleeping in them. They sure are small though. Could probably have gotten another one.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a beautiful Caribbean file fish. It gets a max of maybe 3”. It is a pale mottled color with gold filigree.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the type I catch locally. They're great for aptasia control up until they get to be about 2 inches then they take a liking to zoas, duncans and other softies. I usually swap them out for a super small one at that point.
IMG_20170617_153209.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back