Filefish Lovers Thread

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every other type of fish seems to have a "Lovers" thread... Why not our poor little Filefish friends? They are one of the most used utility fish in our hobby and get along with just about everyone on the reef. (Unless you are an invert!)

There are some really cool filefish out there, do you have one? I will get us started with the most common and obvious:

The Matted Filefish or Aiptasia Easting Filefish!

Matted Filefish.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every other type of fish seems to have a "Lovers" thread... Why not our poor little Filefish friends? They are one of the most used utility fish in our hobby and get along with just about everyone on the reef. (Unless you are an invert!)

There are some really cool filefish out there, do you have one? I will get us started with the most common and obvious:

The Matted Filefish or Aiptasia Easting Filefish!

Matted Filefish.jpg
That file looks stunning!
Definitely joining this as I’d love to learn more about Filefish (I’ve overlooked them several times).

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably get another but my previous one developed a taste for my cynarina and then jumped out through a narrow opening in the cover. I would agree with others that they seem to do a good job on aiptasia. I'll see if I can find any pics

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
YES!! We need a filefish lovers thread!! Great idea!!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the wonderful Caribbean slender file fish. It is very attractive and I see them sometimes when diving. They hide in amongst gorgonians and often have what looks like golden threads on their bodies. And they are quite small about 2”. I couple would be great in gorgonian centered Caribbean tank.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "was" an aiptasia-eating filefish fan and have had several over the years. My last one-no aiptasia for this or previous ones to eat-was very well fed with frozen, flake, etc. but went rogue and decimated ALL of my numerous zoas, polyps and started on my Elegance.
It took weeks but I caught it and no more file fish for me, ever!

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes
I "was" an aiptasia-eating filefish fan and have had several over the years. My last one-no aiptasia for this or previous ones to eat-was very well fed with frozen, flake, etc. but went rogue and decimated ALL of my numerous zoas, polyps and started on my Elegance.
It took weeks but I caught it and no more file fish for me, ever!
I think it comes down to your goals for your reef. There a lot of fish that can't be around softies but many, many people really enjoy them. I for one am a fish first guy so to me if they eat my coral i am okay with that. Others have different goals so these fish may not work well for them. That is the beautiful thing about reef keeping, there are a million different ways to go about it!!

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the wonderful Caribbean slender file fish. It is very attractive and I see them sometimes when diving. They hide in amongst gorgonians and often have what looks like golden threads on their bodies. And they are quite small about 2”. I couple would be great in gorgonian centered Caribbean tank.
Saw a couple myself while freediving! Very interesting fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back