Filter feeder ID

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the prowl for red macro algae and didn't ever notice this guy stuck to one of the pieces. Only when I put the pieces into the tank it felt squishy and I noticed something on it. Is it some kind of sponge? it can shrink down surprisingly small when it is touched, vents open and close.
Its been in my aquarium about 3 weeks now.

IMG_20190819_181402.jpg
IMG_20190819_181422.jpg

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like "Halymenia Elongata - Red Finger" very cool and a rare find.

Thanks but that looks like the red macro algae growing in front of the filter feeder? Doesn't look like the sponge filter creature in question.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, looks like some sort of barnacle attached to live rock or tube worm. I can't really ID that too well. Does it have animals living in the openings?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
+1 tunicate

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, looks like some sort of barnacle attached to live rock or tube worm. I can't really ID that too well. Does it have animals living in the openings?
there are no animals living in it. If I touch it, or a hermit walks on it, it will quickly close the openings and shrink in size. its a very soft organism, only the little "mouth" pieces or the entrances and exit points of the water are a little hard.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last pic is the best. Clearly a tunicate. Can tell from the two openings. Supposedly hard to keep in an aquarium. But cool hitchhiker.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? why are they hard to keep?
That’s just what I’ve “heard” from other reefers. I’ve always said I wanted the colorful variety all along the bed of my tank. In the wild, they’re usually found around sponges and it’s beautiful. I believe water flows in one tube, it filters it and water out the other tube. I guess you’d have to keep enough food in column for them as well as enough flow for them to filter. I am by no means an expert and this is just from what I’ve heard. But if you can keep it, they’re totally cool.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s just what I’ve “heard” from other reefers. I’ve always said I wanted the colorful variety all along the bed of my tank. In the wild, they’re usually found around sponges and it’s beautiful. I believe water flows in one tube, it filters it and water out the other tube. I guess you’d have to keep enough food in column for them as well as enough flow for them to filter. I am by no means an expert and this is just from what I’ve heard. But if you can keep it, they’re totally cool.
Thanks man. I will see how it goes and keep the forum updated. Been about 3 weeks thus far and so far as good!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. I will see how it goes and keep the forum updated. Been about 3 weeks thus far and so far as good!
Sounds cool. I did a quick read about them. Some are easier to keep than others. They have strong nutritional needs such as phytoplankton and zooplankton. Some photosynthesize.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool. I did a quick read about them. Some are easier to keep than others. They have strong nutritional needs such as phytoplankton and zooplankton. Some photosynthesize.

I have collected my macroalgae out the ocean here, and when I bring them home, the container they are in (I keep them in containers full of the ocean water) is teeming with ting organisms. Some larger, some you can just barely see. I usually remove crabs if I find them, but keep everything else. I'm wondering if by doing this I have introduced a few colonies of these planktons which are breeding and providing a food source for it.
This is what I love about the saltwater hobby. You are always finding out new little things about the goings on in your tank haha.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for that link! I have realized that I have a lot of the tiny little colourless ones as mentioned in the article around my tank.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely sea squirt on some red bamboo algae

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have collected my macroalgae out the ocean here, and when I bring them home, the container they are in (I keep them in containers full of the ocean water) is teeming with ting organisms. Some larger, some you can just barely see. I usually remove crabs if I find them, but keep everything else. I'm wondering if by doing this I have introduced a few colonies of these planktons which are breeding and providing a food source for it.
This is what I love about the saltwater hobby. You are always finding out new little things about the goings on in your tank haha.
I’ve always wondered about using ocean water and phyto as well. Will the phyto continue to grow in my system? Or will other microalgae currently in my system outcompete it? And ocean water does bring some interesting things. Most life in the ocean starts out as tiny, microscopic organisms and then grow. Then you’ll start seeing weird things growing all over the place. I find weird things in my tank all the time.

How’s the water quality in UAE?

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered about using ocean water and phyto as well. Will the phyto continue to grow in my system? Or will other microalgae currently in my system outcompete it? And ocean water does bring some interesting things. Most life in the ocean starts out as tiny, microscopic organisms and then grow. Then you’ll start seeing weird things growing all over the place. I find weird things in my tank all the time.

How’s the water quality in UAE?
That's an interesting point.

As for UAE water quality, (see reference link below from earlier this year). https://www.timeoutdubai.com/news/3...re-officially-among-the-cleanest-in-the-world

Some of the cleanest beaches in the world apparently. We have Blue Flag rating, "beaches are regularly checked to see if they meet strict criteria –including water quality, environmental education and information, environmental management, safety and services."

Part of Dubai's "green plan". Not only for the coastline but they have been planting "forests" (if you can call them that) inland and pretty planting as much vegetation as possible, as well as a couple huge man made lakes. I had a look at the fish species in these lakes if you are interested to see.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back