Filter feeder in lobo skeleton

Dumzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this is, looks like some sort of filter feeding worm but cant find anything specific on the internet, its inside the top of the lobo through the flesh. Should I leave it there? If not, what's the best way to kill it?

Attachments

• IMG_2017.mov
    8.7 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this is, looks like some sort of filter feeding worm but cant find anything specific on the internet, its inside the top of the lobo through the flesh. Should I leave it there? If not, what's the best way to kill it?
That's a boring barnacle species of some kind - they bore into the calcium carbonate skeleton of the coral under the coral's flesh but they don't really cause any harm. The worst I've heard is that they may cause the coral to grow in a somewhat deformed manner, but this doesn't seem to happen all the time.

Most barnacles don't last long our tanks, but the boring species seem to do better than regular barnacles. Either way, these guys won't spread, and they are (aside from possibly causing deformed growth patterns) harmless filter feeders.

Personally, I'd leave it and enjoy it while it lasts, but some people (mostly those who have had corals grow weirdly as a result of these barnacles) would say to get rid of it before it causes a potentially unsightly growth pattern for your lobo.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • D/C

Votes: 54 61.4%
  • Both

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 14.8%
Back