Strange worm, almost looked like filter feeder/alien lol please ID

CierraBeckwith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching my rock flower nems (because I keep hoping for spawning) and saw this thing, i thought it was one of my brittle starfish at first, but you can see one of the starfish legs above it so I know it's not that. Plus it moved like a worm? And like folded into itself, also it almost looked like it had a filter feeding part come out the top of it?? I hope it's not a bad guy cuz it disappeared quick at any sign of light.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really hard to tell from that description. You could try to take a look at common hitchhiker worm photos and see if anything looks like what you saw. Bristle worms, peanut worms, spaghetti worms, flatworms, etc.

OP
OP
C

CierraBeckwith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really hard to tell from that description. You could try to take a look at common hitchhiker worm photos and see if anything looks like what you saw. Bristle worms, peanut worms, spaghetti worms, flatworms, etc.
The video I posted didn't work! But I added a YouTube link below :) Ty for your response :)

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a strange one. Definitely not a brittle star. @ISpeakForTheSeas any ideas on this one? It is a bit fuzzy, but the end seems to fan out at times. Could this be a species of Clymenella? Another spike-funnel-anus worm?
PXL_20230311_052405449.jpg

I would have expected it in the substrate though.

OP, do you have a sand bed?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, an unusual one. Sort of reminds me of the trunk of a conch, but longer than I've seen one.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be a species of Clymenella? Another spike-funnel-anus worm?
It's possible that it's from that family, but I'm leaning toward it being a peanut worm like below:

OP
OP
C

CierraBeckwith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a strange one. Definitely not a brittle star. @ISpeakForTheSeas any ideas on this one? It is a bit fuzzy, but the end seems to fan out at times. Could this be a species of Clymenella? Another spike-funnel-anus worm?
PXL_20230311_052405449.jpg

I would have expected it in the substrate though.

OP, do you have a sand bed?
The funnel-ish part on the one in this pic look's similar to what I saw, but the colors are different, but I do have a sand bed, where I saw this thing at was in my rocks, maybe 4-5 inches above the sand bed.

OP
OP
C

CierraBeckwith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that it's from that family, but I'm leaning toward it being a peanut worm like below:
Okay it definitely looked more like a peanut worm! I hope there not bad because I doubt I will be able to catch it. It was the first time I have even seen it. lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back