Filter Roller & RedSea NoPox Dosing

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I currently have a RedSea ReefMat 500 installed in my sump. On average it may use about 30" of filter roll a day.

Recently I decided to dose NoPox for 2 days to help reduce my Nitrates and Phosphates a little.
I know from dosing NoPox before that it can create a whitefilm on the glass and cause filter material to clog up.
After dosing, my ReefMat proceeded to use between 150" and 200' the next 2 days. When I look at the used filter roll it's barely dirty so my assumption is the NoPox clogging the filter material.

My question is, has anyone else dosed NoPox or similar when using a filter roller? And what do you do with the filter to stop it from clogging up?

I think I may stop the manual advance of the filter material and manually advance it until it is able to advance at a more regular pace.

zoolan70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will end up burning through the filter material one way or another. You can turn it off while dosing but that will just leave the flock in the tank, blowing around. Once you turn the ReefMat back on, it will catch it and plug up. The only way around it would be to use a different filter material while dosing, if you have a way to do that. Maybe pull the ReefMat and put the end of the hose just into a 200 micron filter sock you can rinse out for a few weeks?

OP
OP
marxman

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes sense, and it didn't occur to me.
I will try substituting the reefmat filtration and see if that helps after I dose.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back