Filter sock alternatives

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find a disposable alternative to filter socks.
Anyone thought or tried using those coffee filters in a cup?
I already looked at reef diapers but the opening is two small and will not take the two cpr hoses I have.

Thanks

Screenshot_20211130-094041_Amazon Shopping.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Filter pads and glass wool as well as filter cups with pads

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coffee filters wouldnt allow enough flow

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not make the skimmer go crazy. But if you decide to buy a different brand then Poly-Fil Original, make sure it does not have any chemicals added...example flame retardant

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Both
Filter pads and floss
Nylon stockings also an alternative

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Can that stuff fit into a cup? Or it will leak water in between the pieces/clumps?

I second the use of this as floss. I put some pond matrix at the bottom of the cup then use this at the top so I can use less and get extra bio-filtration - works great! Make sure you get this brand or something that doesn't add silicates otherwise you will get some diatoms...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Last edited:

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fairfield PF-10 The Original Poly-Fil Premium 100% Fiber Fill Box, White, 10 lb​

Plop that in the search box in Amazon and you should be set.

You can also search for "Seachem Pond Matrix" for the bottom of the cups. They work great after the mechanical filtration/floss.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both
Filter pads and floss
Nylon stockings also an alternative
Pantyhose just has so many uses around the aquarium! I just used a pair of cheap mens "silk" socks ($1/pair) as "I can't find anything better right now" bags for GFO. The mesh size is just about perfect for the task.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fairfield PF-10 The Original Poly-Fil Premium 100% Fiber Fill Box, White, 10 lb​

Plop that in the search box in Amazon and you should be set.

You can also search for "Seachem Pond Matrix" for the bottom of the cups. They work great after the mechanical filtration/floss.
Is it completely safe to use this one? J saw these at Walmart cheap.

ClutchCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it for months without issue and I know others have for years when I was researching at the onset. Based off my understanding, the main danger with using this type of polyster batting would be if it is "siliconized." Fairfield sells other products which are clearly marketed as "siliconized polyster" while this one is not, so it should be safe.

Further, my diatom bloom from my uncured live rock has stopped while I have continued using the poly-fill, so I can also also anecdotally confirm that it hasn't been siliconized.

Long story short, I love this stuff and it ensures I swap out my filter floss every day or two since it is so dang easy.

Paul Thomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find a disposable alternative to filter socks.
Anyone thought or tried using those coffee filters in a cup?
I already looked at reef diapers but the opening is two small and will not take the two cpr hoses I have.

Thanks

Screenshot_20211130-094041_Amazon Shopping.jpg
So I got some of the reef diapers and modified my (Red Sea Reefer 750XL) holders. ended up buying a second set just in cast I wanted/needed to go back to the others. Anyway, I used them and they worked fine. Saved me the issue of washing filters. Honestly its still a hassle so I stopped using any filters and watched my water quality every day like a hawk. Funny think nothing changed? Water is just as clear and perimeters didn't change at all? Now I use them occasionally when I feel I need to but otherwise just stopped using them all together. if anyone ever comes out with a roller that works in this sump I may sign up but for now no more filters for me. Too much work changing every three days.

Back