Filter Sock & Filter Trays: Which do you prefer and why?

Do you prefer to run a filter sock or a filter tray?

• Filter Sock

Votes: 368 50.1%
  • Filter Tray

Votes: 167 22.7%
  • No Filter

Votes: 113 15.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 87 11.8%

• Total voters

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to filter with a massive mat of chaeto with a healthy detritus eating CUC. I will use a filter pad, Pinky's, right after I harvest. I run a filter sock while deep cleaning sand bed and/or basting the rocks and they are really dirty. I only run the socks while vacuuming and maybe an hour after. If the rocks were particularly dirty and the water gets cloudy, I turn up the flow and run the socks for about an hour or two.
In my Mangrove tank I run a filter pad for 2 days a month. It is too small to have a fuge.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7" 200 micron filter sock on my 120 and 45 frag.
I will never use 4" again.
Looking for 300 micron.
Mesh sock plug up quicker than standard in my systems.
In the process of building a manual filter roller.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floss, so much easier to just toss and replace. Socks were too expensive and just a hassle to clean

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fleece roller is the way to go if you have the space. the waste gets removed from the water the quickest if you have a good one. IME, the KLIR are not very good for third party sumps (not coralvue).

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not both? :D

1612559153751.png

One standard sock and a 3d printed cup with floss and carbon. Best of both words.....but also twice the cleaning..

CamT223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter sock is my go to. I like being able to throw media bags in the sock rather than just laying in the sump. Filter socks can also be cleaned easily enough and used for a longer period of time, better for our wallets, better for the earth. Like Klong said, hard to watch all the single use plastics we go through.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a fleece roller for about 4 month now —— LOVE IT. !!!!
had socks only briefly... to much of a mess with washing them ... no thank you
Had normal filter pads liked them as well but nothing trumps my fleece roll I have now.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although I would prefer a Klir Fleece Filter, I currently primarily run filter media cups. I do also use filter mesh bags and, for special purpose, filter socks.

s1rk1118

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter tray. 1. When I take the pad out I can flick off the amphipods back into my fuge.
2. I can spray wash the pads and reuse.
3. I can put in a new pad every day. I have 9 total and when I have one left in the tray, I clean the others.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Socks. Easy to clean in the washer, with a cap full of bleach, air dry. Double 7x12" on a 120 gallon SPS heavy mixed reef. Other options seem far to expensive and wasteful.

I've been using the same 10 filter socks for 5 years now and they're still going strong. I change it every three days so about once a month I have to run a washload. Running without socks (barefoot?) would definitely be one less maintenance chore but I think I'd need to triple the size of my refugium for that to work.

Bededog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run a roller if I had room for one. I don't use traditional socks. I have cups stuffed with polyfill. I just toss it once a week and refill. You can get a HUGE bag at a craft/sewing store for ten bucks. Lasts forever.
Do you have a picture of this? What kind of cup? Thank you in advance. I made my own sump out of a 40 gallon breeder and I was trying to decide on a tray or socks. The cup idea might be an option for me.

Robert Riccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer filter socks and find it very easy to replace, wash and repeat. My sump stays detritus free with no floating particles in the display tank.

BobT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run a roller if I had room for one. I don't use traditional socks. I have cups stuffed with polyfill. I just toss it once a week and refill. You can get a HUGE bag at a craft/sewing store for ten bucks. Lasts forever.
Same for me - Klir won't fit in my Trigger sump:(

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back