Filter sock for 600 gph overflow

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 600gph overflow and the flter sock I am using is a 15 inch 200 micron..... It is a brand new tank that is just finishing cycling but it appears the filter sock can't keep up with the flow rate as it over flows very quick. By quick I mean within an hour and there is no livestock in the tank. Would decreasing the micron of the sock help with it overflowing and what is the minimum micron you would recommend that would keep up where the sock doesn't overflow? I have seen them as low as 10 micron. The sock and holder I have is a 4". Thanks in advance for the guidance.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing the micron size (200 microns to something larger like 350) will always allow for increased flow rates. Decreasing micron size will decrease water flow out, and the holes will clog easier.

I'd suggest either getting something that has space for 2+ socks, rather than rely on one sock with a larger micron size, and then splitting the flow. It's weird that your socks are clogging so quickly though...

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing anything that’s stirring up sand or debris? That could clog the sock. It’s weird that it’s clogging so quickly.

Tono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your return pump at full flow? Also, what size plumbing does the overflow use? you could be pumping a lot more water through than you think. A dual 1" drain overflow can be rated for 600gph but that's usually underrated.

OP
OP
jlandis33

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the replies! That is very helpful info... i am waiting for it to cycle so not doing anything with tank really but seems to be getting a coating of something on outside of sock. Having a problem with just a 3/4” coarse filter pad doing the same thing

OP
OP
jlandis33

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your return pump at full flow? Also, what size plumbing does the overflow use? you could be pumping a lot more water through than you think. A dual 1" drain overflow can be rated for 600gph but that's usually underrated.
It is a single 1” pipe coming from an ocean 600 overflow with uncle toms lifter on it.... the return pump is on lowest setting

OP
OP
jlandis33

jlandis33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually if I turn return pump any higher than lowest setting it starts breaking siphon and gurgling

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 119 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back