Filter sock inside display tank??

snk_anindya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I'm starting my first 70 gallon tank. I cannot keep a sump and would be using a canister. However I felt it would be good if I use the canister for biological and chemical filtration only. I have a hang on skimmer. But it would also be nice if I can add a filter sock somehow.

My plan is to have a rectangular chamber in one back corner of the tank, which would hold a filter sock. The chamber will be made of black acrylic and can be fixed into the tank either with suction cups or super glue. This is because I have already filled water into the tank. So then.. Water will overflow into it. I will put the canister intake into this chamber. There will be no other way for water to flow out of the chamber. So, the water will flow from tank into overflow.. into sock.. Then canister inlet.. And back into tank from the canister outlet.

What do you guys think? Is this a good plan? Do you think it will be effective?

Regards,
Kishore

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys,
I'm starting my first 70 gallon tank. I cannot keep a sump and would be using a canister. However I felt it would be good if I use the canister for biological and chemical filtration only. I have a hang on skimmer. But it would also be nice if I can add a filter sock somehow.

My plan is to have a rectangular chamber in one back corner of the tank, which would hold a filter sock. The chamber will be made of black acrylic and can be fixed into the tank either with suction cups or super glue. This is because I have already filled water into the tank. So then.. Water will overflow into it. I will put the canister intake into this chamber. There will be no other way for water to flow out of the chamber. So, the water will flow from tank into overflow.. into sock.. Then canister inlet.. And back into tank from the canister outlet.

What do you guys think? Is this a good plan? Do you think it will be effective?

Regards,
Kishore
Here is a suggestion - instead of a filter sock - On the tube of the canister filter (the tube that sucks the water out of the tank into the filter (i.e. the input)) - place a sponge (like an aqua clear filter sponge) - that you've cut a hole into - so that it fits snugly over the intake. The flow will be unhampered - and you will have no detritus going into the filter (only water). Hope this helps?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have high nutrient problem? I'd skip mechanical filtration unless it's really necessary in your case. So many people run without filter socks whatsoever even with a sump.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a HOB filter with some filter floss. Does great picking up small particles and the stuff floating on top of the water. Highly recommend it. Can also run carbon if needed or any other little pouches for what ever is necessary

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have high nutrient problem? I'd skip mechanical filtration unless it's really necessary in your case. So many people run without filter socks whatsoever even with a sump.
The reason (IMO) - to mechanically filter before a canister filter - is to dramatically decrease the frequency that the whole filter needs to be taken out and clean it. Using a filter sock would seem to me to be overly complex - but the OP's idea would certainly work.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if, just hang a filter sock ring to the tank, and put the input of the canister inside the sock. Then you'll be using the outside of the filter sock instead of the inside. But it's the same thing.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What if, just hang a filter sock ring to the tank, and put the input of the canister inside the sock. Then you'll be using the outside of the filter sock instead of the inside. But it's the same thing.
This is the benefit of the sponge - where you can actually lift the sponge out of the tank (most of the 'gunk' is inside the small holes) - and nothing is dropped back into the tank. If you use a filter sock in this way - you end up with a very small surface area - and when you lift up the sock - all of the stuff collected will just fall off (or a lot). My guess is that a tank with a canister filter - will likely be a high nutrient environment - and to me - it would be good to get some out.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the benefit of the sponge - where you can actually lift the sponge out of the tank (most of the 'gunk' is inside the small holes) - and nothing is dropped back into the tank. If you use a filter sock in this way - you end up with a very small surface area - and when you lift up the sock - all of the stuff collected will just fall off (or a lot). My guess is that a tank with a canister filter - will likely be a high nutrient environment - and to me - it would be good to get some out.

I used those kind of prefilter a lot in my fresh water tanks before. When lifting them out, they almost always drop lots of detritus back out to the tank. The trick is to use a cup or plastic bag to bag it in water then take out. But the same trick can apply to filter socks too.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar setup on my 50 gallon pentagon/corner tank. I have no room underneath for a sump so I use a HOB Aquamaxx 1.5 skimmer and an Oase Thermo Pro 350 canister. The canister filters draws its water from a Modular Marine overflow box mounted on the back wall of the tank. I don't put any media in the overflow box because the Oase has a very easy to remove prefilter that doesn't involve removing the top of the filter. It also has a built in heater which can be replaced without tossing the whole filter. I also put my Inkbird Temp sensor in the overflow box.

I only use medium sponges on the Oase Prefilter. The trays of the filter are used for Chemi Pure, Carbon, Phosguard, Purigen etc. depending on the need. I always keep carbon in one of the trays. I have spare sets of the foam filters so it is a 5 min job to remove the dirty foam filters and replace them with clean units. I them just rinse them off and put them away for the next time. I change the prefilter once a week and clean out/change media once a month.

The video below (Not mine) shows the prefilter maintenance

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used those kind of prefilter a lot in my fresh water tanks before. When lifting them out, they almost always drop lots of detritus back out to the tank. The trick is to use a cup or plastic bag to bag it in water then take out. But the same trick can apply to filter socks too.
Great minds think alike - I was going to say the same thing - with either the sponge or the filter sock. IMO - the sponge has more surface area - and will 'look better'. But - at least hopefully we have given the OP something to think about:)

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just siphon your sand when you do a water change and skip all of the other “modifications”. Detritus is going to end up in the sand no matter what you do anyways. Whether it’s more or less is irrelevant if you regularly suck all of it out each time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just siphon your sand when you do a water change and skip all of the other “modifications”. Detritus is going to end up in the sand no matter what you do anyways. Whether it’s more or less is irrelevant if you regularly suck all of it out each time.
True - the issue was keeping that 'stuff' from getting into the canister filter in the first place - to decrease the amount of changes needed (taking apart the filter etc. Do you use a python - which is my best friend

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True - the issue was keeping that 'stuff' from getting into the canister filter in the first place - to decrease the amount of changes needed (taking apart the filter etc. Do you use a python - which is my best friend
Pythons work great. In all honesty, canister filters on saltwater tanks tend to more of a pain than they’re worth. I started with one on my first 29 gallon tank and eventually took it off entirely because my weekly 10% water change was more than enough to keep the tank clean. Just something to think about.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pythons work great. In all honesty, canister filters on saltwater tanks tend to more of a pain than they’re worth. I started with one on my first 29 gallon tank and eventually took it off entirely because my weekly 10% water change was more than enough to keep the tank clean. Just something to think about.
Agreed - if you're going to use one - the sponge prevents frequent cleaning. but - they do become a hassle. I started doing this with my discus fry tanks - worked well (rather than a sponge filter)

OP
OP
snk_anindya

snk_anindya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your suggestions.
OK. So, initially when I am starting the tank, my bio load will be less and surely I can get away with any kind of filtration. Also, I am sure I'll need to do frequent water changes in the beginning.

However, my question was with regard to long term plan. Over time my bio load will increase. But, I also would like to reduce water changes. So, I want a system that can stabilize well. Hence the use of cansiter for additional filtration, instead of a hob.

But since canister can accumulate dirt, it would be best to Pre-Filter the water. I think using a sponge on the inlet is the best suggestion. But I feel it has 2 problems. First, it can get clogged soon with detritus. And second, it might not look good in the display. So, having a chamber will solve both problems. I could also hide my heater and inlet inside it. So, this is just a long term plan, and I would add such a chamber only at a later point of time when my tank actually needs it. Just planning for it now, so that I can reserve some space for it.

Also, as someone mentioned, most dirt will end up in the sand. But, if I use this method, I might not need to siphon the water. Just stirring up the sand bed once in a while will cause the detritus to be blown around by the flow and eventually most of it might end up in the sock.

OP
OP
snk_anindya

snk_anindya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
If anyone has any practical advice regarding making such an overflow chamber, pls let me know.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all your suggestions.
OK. So, initially when I am starting the tank, my bio load will be less and surely I can get away with any kind of filtration. Also, I am sure I'll need to do frequent water changes in the beginning.

However, my question was with regard to long term plan. Over time my bio load will increase. But, I also would like to reduce water changes. So, I want a system that can stabilize well. Hence the use of cansiter for additional filtration, instead of a hob.

But since canister can accumulate dirt, it would be best to Pre-Filter the water. I think using a sponge on the inlet is the best suggestion. But I feel it has 2 problems. First, it can get clogged soon with detritus. And second, it might not look good in the display. So, having a chamber will solve both problems. I could also hide my heater and inlet inside it. So, this is just a long term plan, and I would add such a chamber only at a later point of time when my tank actually needs it. Just planning for it now, so that I can reserve some space for it.

Also, as someone mentioned, most dirt will end up in the sand. But, if I use this method, I might not need to siphon the water. Just stirring up the sand bed once in a while will cause the detritus to be blown around by the flow and eventually most of it might end up in the sock.
You would be surprised - the sponge will not get clogged for a month or so - and you hide it behind 'something'. But - you're correct - your way will hide it better.

OP
OP
snk_anindya

snk_anindya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be surprised - the sponge will not get clogged for a month or so - and you hide it behind 'something'. But - you're correct - your way will hide it better.
Oh ok. Let me try your suggestion first. Then if required, I can go for my idea.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back