Filter sock section burping, water level lower than rest of sump.

Exus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out why my filter sock section is burping. I believe it has something to do with the water level, because when the burp happens, the water level increases by a quarter inch for just a second.

You can see from. This image that the water level in the filter sock section is 7 inches, while the rest of the sump is at 8 inches. I tried removing the blue sponge I'm using to reduce drain noise, but it doesn't help.

I'm thinking it has something to due with air entering in the filter sock section and the burping is the air forcibly escaping out the same way water is entering.

I'm using bio media in filter cups, and the skimmer is the sole method of nutrient export.

1000005915.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the "burping" is air exiting from the waterpipes with the incoming tank water?

Also, regarding the water level, is the skimmer intake sucking water out of the sockless sock section? That may also have something to do with your situation?

Hard to see the rest of the set up plumbing, and I don't have this particular filter/sump set up to know how it all works together.

What happens to the water levels if you unplug the skimmer with everything else running normally?

Otherwise I am out of guesses, and will leave you with the answer my mom would have provided: "The rude filter-sock section must have not been raised by parents with good manners." I still miss her, hope we figure out this situation. :cool: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:;)

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put DWV “Y” on my Drains above the Filter Socks. The water from the Aquarium, enters into the side. I have a pipe that goes up and is loosely capped, a short pipe goes into the filter sock. I drilled progressively larger holes in the caps, till the drain quieted down. Everything is glued, except the caps, so I can clean them.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put DWV “Y” on my Drains above the Filter Socks. The water from the Aquarium, enters into the side. I have a pipe that goes up and is loosely capped, a short pipe goes into the filter sock. I drilled progressively larger holes in the caps, till the drain quieted down. Everything is glued, except the caps, so I can clean them.
Yup! Getting the right amount of air flow into the drain pipes can reduce or eliminate the noisy burping noises that occur when a siphon occurs and increases the amount of air that gets pulled down the drains.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back