Filter Sock Size

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Nobbygas

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the socks I'm really interested in, but an acrylic cup to replace them. I've seen some advertised for Reefers and I was wondering if they would fit into an S-650!

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all Red Sea tanks ship with the same mesh filter sock. You can purchase the felt if you prefer. As mentioned above, I don’t use them. I use acrylic media cups with filter floss.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy the cups at ?

Marine depot carries some that are food grade plastic. I have a set of those for my reefer 250. I recently got 2 acrylic ones from anything acrylic for my new tank. You can find them on Facebook. Just note they are out of Australia so shipping isn’t quick.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I did find them.. 18 bucks seems like a lot for a plastic cup ..I know the cost of filter socks is worse in long run though . Thanks for reply

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I did find them.. 18 bucks seems like a lot for a plastic cup ..I know the cost of filter socks is worse in long run though . Thanks for reply

To me $18 was nothing when comparing to the hate that I had for the filter socks lol But that’s just me.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t bother, filter socks need to be cleaned, and they remove all the good stuff that your tank needs.
I’m in 3 yrs, and have never used socks

Tautog,
I was with you on that one for along time with my S-400, it came with sponges :( and loathe those cloth socks ;Meh

But... When Red Sea released the 225 nylon mesh sock, it's been a winner. I get six months out of one sock ;Woot ;Woot

Only have to spray it out every few days (while I'm cleaning the skimmers collection cup) and my sump stays squeaky clean.

:)

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tautog,
I was with you on that one for along time with my S-400, it came with sponges :( and loathe those cloth socks ;Meh

But... When Red Sea released the 225 nylon mesh sock, it's been a winner. I get six months out of one sock ;Woot ;Woot

Only have to spray it out every few days (while I'm cleaning the skimmers collection cup) and my sump stays squeaky clean.

:)
I would agree here. If you want to stick with filter socks, mesh is the way to go. Same micron size as the felt version, but a lot easier to clean.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy your filter socks from a Biodiesel store. They were used there,before reef tanks. Just like everything else in this hoby they double or triple the price for already existing items.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy your filter socks from a Biodiesel store. They were used there,before reef tanks. Just like everything else in this hoby they double or triple the price for already existing items.

This is true. You can go the route of generic socks, but they will have to be modified. Red Sea’s filter socks are specific to Red Sea tanks. Generic socks will not fit unless modified.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What modifications must be made? The Red Sea filter holder or the generic filter.

You could do either or, but from videos I’ve seen, most people modify the plastic ring of the filter sock. Just YouTube the topic and you will find a couple videos.

I could be wrong, but I believe @pelphrey has done this.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker

(lol)
Can you show your filter sock making machine with (Charlie) your helper :)

Thanks, Freddie

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker

(lol)
Can you show your filter sock making machine with (Charlie) your helper :)

Thanks, Freddie
On the first page, Charlie like to make sure the felt in held down;):p:D:D

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back