Filter sock/sump issues

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon cube with a eshopps cube medium under it. The total height from return chamber to return out is about 4.25 feet. I’ve been getting myself on a 4 day filter sock schedule, and I’ve noticed my socks never seem to have much in them.
image.jpg
image.jpg

when I reach in to get the sock I don’t feel much water flowing over and into the sock area. I’m currently dealing with a hair algae problem so not removal would be nice.

my only thought is that my pump might not be enough. I’m currently running a hydor seltz D 750 at max.

any advice is welcome.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon cube with a eshopps cube medium under it. The total height from return chamber to return out is about 4.25 feet. I’ve been getting myself on a 4 day filter sock schedule, and I’ve noticed my socks never seem to have much in them.
image.jpg
image.jpg

when I reach in to get the sock I don’t feel much water flowing over and into the sock area. I’m currently dealing with a hair algae problem so not removal would be nice.

my only thought is that my pump might not be enough. I’m currently running a hydor seltz D 750 at max.

any advice is welcome.

What size pipe is used for the return? Does the return pump only return water to the tank or is it supplying other items such as a media reactor? The problem I had with my flow was due to back pressure. I was using these fan nozzles that reduced my flow significantly. Once I took those off and just had a straight pipe return, my flow increased drastically.

Also, the filter sock is used to capture free floating waste so it doesn't settle and accumulate in a corner increasing nutrients. If there isn't much to collect, the sock will simply last longer.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size pipe is used for the return? Does the return pump only return water to the tank or is it supplying other items such as a media reactor? The problem I had with my flow was due to back pressure. I was using these fan nozzles that reduced my flow significantly. Once I took those off and just had a straight pipe return, my flow increased drastically.

Also, the filter sock is used to capture free floating waste so it doesn't settle and accumulate in a corner increasing nutrients. If there isn't much to collect, the sock will simply last longer.
The return is 3/4 to a 1 inch prebuilt manifold I got of brs, back to 3/4. There is a carbon reactor on the manifold 1/2 inch tubing. Can’t go bigger on return size cuz it’s on of those reef ready tanks where the holes are in the bottom of the tank. (Unless I went through the back of the stand)

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return is 3/4 to a 1 inch prebuilt manifold I got of brs, back to 3/4. There is a carbon reactor on the manifold 1/2 inch tubing. Can’t go bigger on return size cuz it’s on of those reef ready tanks where the holes are in the bottom of the tank. (Unless I went through the back of the stand)

3/4 inch pipe is good. Carbon reactors dont require much flow so it isn't taking much flow away from the return. The 1 inch manifold could be giving some friction loss but that aspect I am not too sure about. What about the nozzle for the return pipe inside the tank. Is it open? Or flat?

The pump you referenced has a max head height of 8.9ft. Your head height above states 4.25ft. Let's say all is equal and half the head height would mean half the flow then at that height with no elbows you should be close to 375gph. This is usually not the case and you're probably getting less but we are making assumptions. Now we add the manifold and reactor and say that takes off another 75gph. You're now at 300gph or 5x turnover your tank volume. This should be enough but some prefer more.

Flow can be deceptive. It may not look like the water is moving when in fact it is. Is the water trickling into your sock?

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 inch pipe is good. Carbon reactors dont require much flow so it isn't taking much flow away from the return. The 1 inch manifold could be giving some friction loss but that aspect I am not too sure about. What about the nozzle for the return pipe inside the tank. Is it open? Or flat?

The pump you referenced has a max head height of 8.9ft. Your head height above states 4.25ft. Let's say all is equal and half the head height would mean half the flow then at that height with no elbows you should be close to 375gph. This is usually not the case and you're probably getting less but we are making assumptions. Now we add the manifold and reactor and say that takes off another 75gph. You're now at 300gph or 5x turnover your tank volume. This should be enough but some prefer more.

Flow can be deceptive. It may not look like the water is moving when in fact it is. Is the water trickling into your sock?
The return nozzle is actually a random flow generator.
There is some trickle and that’s at max flow. If I lower the flow there’s nothing flowing into the sock.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return nozzle is actually a random flow generator.
There is some trickle and that’s at max flow. If I lower the flow there’s nothing flowing into the sock.

Then at this point I would agree with you and say that your return pump might be too small. With these newer dc pumps I always go one or two sizes up and dial it back down. This helps with a reduction of noise, heat, wear and tear. If you ever add any more plumbing you can always dial it up.

They can be pricey though. I've used Ecotech, Reef Octopus Varios, and Jebao. My tank is currently running the Jebao 13000 at 40%. In my experience it is a great pump/brand for the price. Others have had issues but I've never had one. The Varios pump was nice and considerably smaller for the power it put out. Same with the Ecotech pump.

You can go with an ac pump too. They aren't controllable like the dc pumps but it's said they're more reliable in the long run. I've only used ATB (not sure if they're still around) and Fluval. They both worked great and the Fluvals have great motor blocks. A lot of people also use the Sicce pumps but I have no experience with them.

Hopefully this solves your problem.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vectors s2 came in today. Just got home a bit ago and installed it. Boy dose this have some oomph.(came pretty close to overflowing the tank) water is now flowing into the filter sock at a much better rate. Currently trying to get it to go as high as I can get it without outdoing the stand pipes.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering the ecotech because the size fits my return chamber and the app controllability.

Look into Simplicity. Good for the price (if thats an issue). Ran one for two years in my Reefer 250 with no problems at all.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely massive difference

the first one is a dirty sock pre upgrade
3123BC42-A45A-4095-81B2-858C4096B971.jpeg
Right hand sock is what I would expect to see - great troubleshooting and upgrade! @WhitePanther93 & @LuisPerez711 YOU ROCK!

@WhitePanther93 Now you get the fun of washing filter socks - I setup an outdoor 'station' I use all the time - details are in my below build thread but essentially its toss them on pegs, hit them with jet nozzle of garden hose, hang to dry

Back