FILTER SOCKS - do you need them, alternatives and the great debate

Do you use filter socks or some other replacement alternative for it?

• YES - Filter Socks

Votes: 105 48.4%
  • No - I use something in its place.

Votes: 69 31.8%
  • No - I got NOTHING in there!

Votes: 43 19.8%

• Total voters

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used a filter sock or similar on my tank. I don’t use them because I don’t have room in my undersized diy sump for them. All of my nutrient export is from a skimmer, fuge, and my rock and sand bed.
I usually have a lot of mulm in my sump, but my phosphates and nitrates stay low so I don’t worry about it and rarely clean it out.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run filter socks but I have some filter sponges where drain goes into sump and rinse/ squeeze this into the dirty tank water when do a wc.
I haven't got filter sock holders in my tank but I am contemplating getting some fine filter socks but would buy some felt and a cheap portable sewing machine that once watched a youtuber reefer make and says costs virtually nothing fir sewing machine ( something like £ 20 if remember correctly ) and the roll of felt cost next to nothing .
Would have to re-watch youtube video again.
I haven't holders so for the filters so would have tie them onto the drain pipe or have some kind fastening at bottom of tank/ top of sump somehow .
But I'm thinking as rinse out the sponges it rinses out alot but it looks like and I presume there still alot stuck inbetween the coarse sponges and I'm wanting to get my nitrates down as quite high at 40-50 but everything seems to be doing ok no problems that I know off anyway and thinking a fine filter sock if changed regulary would catch alot crap

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran filter socks for years. Upgraded for a filter roller about 2 years ago. Realized my tank was starving which was causing problems. Removed my phosguard and carbon reactors and the filter roller. Turned that area in to one big chaeto fuge. Now I rely on nothing but the fuge, the skimmer and some marinepur balls and that's it! Things have never been happier, including my wife since I don't have to use the washer for socks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, filter socks help. And yes, I absolutely hate them. They're a hassle to change, a pain to clean and I've been looking into fleece rollers for the past few months.

The problem with my scenario isn't what I gain - but what I give up. I lose a gravity-fed ATO and have to permanently remove the filter sock/media holders. I also end up with a small unusable section of my sump where the overflows currently empty.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran filter socks for years. Upgraded for a filter roller about 2 years ago. Realized my tank was starving which was causing problems. Removed my phosguard and carbon reactors and the filter roller. Turned that area in to one big chaeto fuge. Now I rely on nothing but the fuge, the skimmer and some marinepur balls and that's it! Things have never been happier, including my wife since I don't have to use the washer for socks.
I may have to look into something like this for my setup. I still like my Zeo and Carbon/GFO reactors, but I've often wondered if the filter socks could be replaced entirely.

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them. I agree they are a pain as they must be changed out twice a week and washed in the washer. I remove them from time to time when I go on vacay so its one less thing for my housesitter to take care of. They do serve a purpose. They help remove floaters in the water which is good. Removing them from the dedicated section of the sump only results in a bit more flowing water noise in the system when I get fed up with using them

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to look into something like this for my setup. I still like my Zeo and Carbon/GFO reactors, but I've often wondered if the filter socks could be replaced entirely.
In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a small shop vac that attaches to a Home Depot/Lowes bucket that I have to vacuum out the bottom of the fuge chamber with maybe every 3-6 months depending. The macro does a good job eating the detritus but it does build up over time. I also do clean the sand bed maybe twice a year. Socks/rollers do a good job of keeping the gunk out but if you're willing to remove it manually once in a while it's no big deal.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a small shop vac that attaches to a Home Depot/Lowes bucket that I have to vacuum out the bottom of the fuge chamber with maybe every 3-6 months depending. The macro does a good job eating the detritus but it does build up over time. I also do clean the sand bed maybe twice a year. Socks/rollers do a good job of keeping the gunk out but if you're willing to remove it manually once in a while it's no big deal.
Good to know - thanks for the head's up. I have a fairly detritus-free sump at present, which my "sump snails" are hard at work keeping it that way.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know - thanks for the head's up. I have a fairly detritus-free sump at present, which my "sump snails" are hard at work keeping it that way.
Yea I have a pair of those GIGANTIC trochus types that I keep in the fuge as well as a few various emeralds/hermits that have gotten evicted from the DT. I hate the gunk as well and endeavor to keep it to a minimum. Socks have their advantages but I prefer this methodology.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love sump snails! I even have some sump shrimp ;-)
I had a half dozen baby snails. I figured "aw, cute". Now I've got something like a 100-odd small trochus snails all over the sump. At least they stay out of the equipment for the most part...

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks and similar items are super valuable to keeping good water quality and clarity. We have filter socks on 2 tanks and a rollermat on the other... if filter socks are too much work... buy a rollermat. Easy peasy. I wouldn't run a system without some form of large debris catcher. Rollermat is better if you don't like changing socks... but we have like 9 or more socks and just throw them in the washer machine with bleach once a week.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sump has 6 socks and I absolutely hate them with a passion. I would like to personally throat punch whoever designed my sump with 6 freaking sock holders.

They work so I keep using them.

Really really want to throat punch whoever decided a sump needed 6 socks. I can't stress that enough.

hexumjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used a filter sock or similar on my tank. I don’t use them because I don’t have room in my undersized diy sump for them. All of my nutrient export is from a skimmer, fuge, and my rock and sand bed.
I usually have a lot of mulm in my sump, but my phosphates and nitrates stay low so I don’t worry about it and rarely clean it out.
What's mulm and GO BLUE!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back