Filter socks types

avelino78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried this brand?? It’s a good price and looks like the same ones that came with my trigger systems sump.

9B97CE25-7FA7-403C-AA9F-79B095E07E34.png 17DE3328-1C5C-45CE-9A65-C06F610F8FD2.png

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price sure is right...the material is the type I prefer to use. I usually pay $6 each for a 4"x14" sock.

Only possible downside is purchasing 25? That is a lot in my opinion because I wash mine and are as good as new.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price sure is right...the material is the type I prefer to use. I usually pay $6 each for a 4"x14" sock.

Only possible downside is purchasing 25? That is a lot in my opinion because I wash mine and are as good as new.
How do u wash them

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use bleach, but I don't bother anymore. Too much work to ensure the bleach is neutralized.
I turn them inside out, give them a good rinse with forceful water in the laundry tub, then into the machine with an extra rinse cycle. Lastly I turn them right side out and let them stand upright on the ring until they've dried out. This ensures all chlorine from the tap water is gone. I also do not worry about any soap residue from previous washes.

I do, however, ensure my wife hasn't used any softener additives in the machine ahead of me. If so, I run the machine empty with warm water to clean it out before using it.

After washing, sometimes there's some small bits left behind but they are easily picked off.
And I don't worry anymore about them coming out completely white.
Washed and dried is good enough.

As for your link, looks like a good buy. I used to use 200 micron felt socks but switched to 100 micron last summer.
They clog up somewhat faster, but not enough to worry about as I change mine weekly.

I was researching a couple years ago for similar socks, but 7"
I didn't want to purchase 25, so turned my LFS onto the site. Now they stock them and I bought 3.
Sure, I paid $25, but I didn't pay $75 and now all my local reefer friends have access to the same socks ;)

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll give a try was also thinking about adding vinegar instead of bleach it rinses better
After washing felt socks for coming up on 8 years, I see no benefit in adding anything to the washer.
Just warm water with a normal wash cycle, and I've added an extra rinse - but just 'cause I can.

Don't forget to turn your socks inside out and I prefer to rinse off everything I can so nothing ugly from the tank goes through my machine.
Nothing like having the Wife peeved 'cause there was some Nori or a snail shell on one of her sweaters :mad:

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a general question about filter socks. I have two 4 inch filter socks on my red sea. I change them when the water flows over the top of them. About every 4 days. Is this the best time to change them or wait until once a week?

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good price! If you get them update this thread.

I soak mine in Oxiclean for about 6hrs in a bucket. Sometimes if they are really dirty ill swish them around a couple times. Then I hot rinse and air dry. I read bleach doesn’t actually get rid of organics.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a general question about filter socks. I have two 4 inch filter socks on my red sea. I change them when the water flows over the top of them. About every 4 days. Is this the best time to change them or wait until once a week?

No reason to wait. You can evenreplace them every day if you wanted. Just depends how often you want to clean them haha. Mine last about 4 or 5 days also.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the bleach just killed bacteria & made the sock (look) whiter.
Hot fresh water would kill the bac, but maybe not look as white?
Agreed
Bleach will turn any algae residue white giving you a false sense of a clean sock.
I feel the chlorine in my source water is enough to kill off any bacteria.

I'm more concerned about rinsing off all the mulm so the next time I use it it's still effective meaning the micron rating isn't reduced.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a guy's build thread I used to watch. I think his name was Peter, and he was some kind of retired cuzMillionaire.
He had a 20,000 gallon acrylic tank. Beautiful system until the front seam let go o_O

He had videos of his maintenance crew rinsing their socks inside out in the sink and then putting them right back into service.

Oops, I think I found the thread.
Turns out my memory is fading ...

His was a 1350 gallon tank.
I'll post a link if I can find it.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed
Bleach will turn any algae residue white giving you a false sense of a clean sock.
I feel the chlorine in my source water is enough to kill off any bacteria.

I'm more concerned about rinsing off all the mulm so the next time I use it it's still effective meaning the micron rating isn't reduced.
I just blast my filter media with a garden hose & let it dry in sunlight for a few days. They end up pristein white again.

The rinse water

20200131_155726.jpg

20200131_155724.jpg

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 60 52.6%
  • NO

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back