Filter socks?

MurseBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter socks that are in your drain lines... Can u put any kind of media in them such as charcoal or phosphate media in them? If so how effective is it? And if y'all do what do u use or recommend?

swordfight

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only media I'd put in there is carbon, you don't want to put anything too fine in there, as you want to filter sock to filter out micro debris.

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt put anything directly in the sock....i would put the media in a mesh bag then put that in the sock....the media will sometimes float out of the sock if it fills with water....but yes you can run carbon and as long as water isnt crashing through the sock you could run a small amount of gfo

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally used to put gfo and carbon in seperate media bags in the filter sock. Like stated above do not put the media directly in, also because you will have trouble removing the media when you clean the sock.

RonMidtownStomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the safety and efficiency, a reactor is well worth the investment. Also note that filter socks have to be cleaned extremely regularly or else they just become more trouble than they are adding in value. Is there something in particular that you're trying to filter out with them?

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put GFO or carbon inside the filter sock whether in a media bag or not. Both will start to break apart and get into your system from the water from the drain.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Paul. My socks need to be changed out every three days, moving stuff from sock to sock wouldn't be worth the trouble anyways.

danielbui23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your filter sock will surely clog quicker than normal. Adding media to the filter sock is another way to clog the fibers and keep water from passing through. Filter Socks are used as pre-filters or filtration for the big debris that gets sucked into the over flow (then travels down the stand pipe if applicable).

mobatic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would want to double bag it, with phosban, depending on what grade you use it my leech out the dust and cause plenty of problems for you.
Carbon as well, as carbon dust particles "may" cause HLLE on fish.

I'd stick it in a safe chamber that'll feed the sump area, that way anything with mass will be collected by the skimmer, if not sink to the bottom in the sump refuge.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks too much maintenance for what they do IMO. I only use them to help clear up dust storms, and then remove them.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back