Filters

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have had a 75 gal reef up and running for 7 years now. I have 90 pounds of rock and 80 pounds of sand in it. The aquarium is stocked with four peppermint shrimp, various snails and hermit crabs, over 10 different kinds of corals (mostly still frags, but growing fast), and a blue hippo tang.

My issue is this. Ive been filtering with a HOT magnum filter. Pretty easy to care for, Ive had them for four years, (2 filters). Needless to say customer service from marineland is great, but their products leave something to be desired in the longevity, and in the ability to choose your own media. (media container cant hold purigen, and is too small an opening to put bags of chemi pure ect into)

A week ago, I did maintenance my magnum, and shes been spewing bubbles. This I cant have. I made sure there were no air bubbles, checked all the parts, used silicone lube on the seals, called the toll free help a couple of times. Nothing worked. I dont want another one of these filters. I want something better that I can choose what media I use, thats dependable, and slightly oversized for my 75.

Ive been looking at eheim and now rena a little bit. Does anyone have recommendations on filters under $300? I really want to do the best thing I can for my fish and corals...but dont have the means to do a sump right now, just to put that on the table. Thanks for the input.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using the same HOT for 15+ years with one empeller replacement, several
oring replacements. Replace the oring on the inlet side of the filter has always fixed my bubble problem. For media that won't work get womens panty hose cut a little long so you can tie a knot in them, stuff all down in basket and put the lid on and your ready to go. I did run into a budy that had a cracked inlet tube once that let in air but that was an isolated case. I haven't used Rena filters so no help there. All the Eheim filters I have have been really good. hth

JR,

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and I do have orings in the mail. I still dont want to stick with the HOT magnum. Just too many problems over the years, and a 55gal filter on a 75g reef with a hippo tang makes me nervous, so its getting replaced. The old canister will most likely go on a new 44g frontosa tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back