Filtration just quit on me, it died!

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency Here

In the midst of a water change and equipment cleaning (wavemaker, heater and filter) My HOB filter just died on me. It was working while I was cleaning, now I go to plug it in and nothing. Not even a sound is coming from the intake propellers. It just died on me!

What steps should I be taking to keep things going? Is there anything I can do? Currently just wavemakers moving the water around at the moment. Besides the obvious of a new filter, how do I go about this without a crash? Please Help! TIA!!

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough rock and sand you should be good while you go get e new filter. Just swap the media from the broken one to the new one and you should be good. Keep the media from the broken filter wet.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank isn't going to crash. Just as you said, go buy another.

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough rock and sand you should be good while you go get e new filter. Just swap the media from the broken one to the new one and you should be good. Keep the media from the broken filter wet.

That eases my mind a little bit. I’m confident I have enough LS and LR to maintain the optimal levels. Ty for the quick reply.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency Here

In the midst of a water change and equipment cleaning (wavemaker, heater and filter) My HOB filter just died on me. It was working while I was cleaning, now I go to plug it in and nothing. Not even a sound is coming from the intake propellers. It just died on me!

What steps should I be taking to keep things going? Is there anything I can do? Currently just wavemakers moving the water around at the moment. Besides the obvious of a new filter, how do I go about this without a crash? Please Help! TIA!!
Have you tried to take it apart and see if the impeller is stuck sometimes that happens if you disassemble it clean it in the sink and put it back together it may work

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to take it apart and see if the impeller is stuck sometimes that happens if you disassemble it clean it in the sink and put it back together it may work

Was just coming back to update everyone. My panic attack is gone and that’s exactly what happened. It needed a jump start, so I fiddled with it and bam it’s back working again. Thanks!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency Here

I have also plugged them in and used my finger to jump start impeller to get it going then while it runs quickly put back in water

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency Here

Glad you got it working but saltwater tanks don't even need mechanical filters. It helps with clarity and lets you run things like carbon but the rock with a powerhead will act as a large amount of biological filtration. There are examples on this forum of tanks with only rock and flow. Just an FYI in case something like this happens again... the tank will not crash, probably not even notice.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back