Filtration

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I he a hob protein skimmer on my tank. My local fish store says I need to have some other filter also,like a cannister. Do I need one? I was going to do hob refugium instead. What do you think? ....no place for sump.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily...but that depends on a lot ..how big is your system....what sort of bio load your system has ....what are your tank parameters.. no3 ..po4 ....how does your tank/corals look ...how much natural filtration rockwork/sand does your system have ...

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hob refugium is a great way to go. I only run a protein skimmer, chaeto in a refugium, and upflow ats.

The natural filtration methods grow pods that are good for a little extra cleanup and food the fish can eat. Also I feel like they clean the water without many of the downsides if mechanical filters such as canister which can become detritus traps.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not real crazy about canister filters strictly from a maintenance perspective. As pointed out above, filtration type/amount really depend on what you want to keep and the water parameters you have/need.
Just as a blank slate answer though, I like the idea of the hob refugium over the canister.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need any of that. It's gonna depends heavily on how you stock your tank.

I have a 20 long in my office, and all I have for "filtration" is a sponge in the intake of a maxi jet 1200. The tank is lightly stocked with 3 fish, and lightly feed as well. I rely on consistent water changes to maintain parameters.

You don't "need" anything, but it's more about what you can use, or want to use.

OP
OP
jpcrash1

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lfs told me I would have problems if I didn't run some kind of filter. I tried an hob filter,but pad plugs up every two days. I thought he was wrong, so I figured I'd ask. I was thinking of hob refugium so I can hide my heater and maybe cut back on water changes.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Like @Jason mack said can we have some info on the tank as it sits now. Without that there is no way to really say what you should need or not.

The LFS could be right, or overstocked on filters:)

OP
OP
jpcrash1

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily...but that depends on a lot ..how big is your system....what sort of bio load your system has ....what are your tank parameters.. no3 ..po4 ....how does your tank/corals look ...how much natural filtration rockwork/sand does your system have ...
I have no phos and nitrates are 5.0. Corals all healthy. Tank is two years old ,125gallon. 100 lbs rock,2-3inch sandbed. Coral life 220 hobskimmer.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use any kind of filtration running the tank. All filtration does is take something you really don't want in your tank and concentrate it somewhere, a pad, a sock whatever. It is still in your water.
This makes you feel great about your tank because you cant see the bad stuff. It is still there.
It can work if you take the filter out and clean or change it often enough. This just makes more work for me and puts another task on me I have to keep up with.
If you feed correctly and control your water ( I do water changes once a week) parameters you don't need filtration.
The amazing thing about a reef tank is over time once it matures it processes everything added to the tank as energy completely or close to it.

That being said I have a canister filter and a diatom filter. If I stir the tank up doing something I put them up on the tank and let them run overnight usually and then take them down
and clean the for next time. This is something that only happens a few times a year. An example of this would be disturbing the sand bed stirring a bunch of stuff up into the water.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70 years ago Le Chin Eng kept corals and fish with just air pumps. Here's a system just using a few power heads and air pumps with no other "filtration"

And here's a system maintianed with tapwater and just a basic sump and no other "filtration"

Back