Fimbriated Eel Tankmates?

Patrick Fulton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eel.png

Hey, this is my first post, so forgive me if I'm doing this wrong....BUT
I have a 90 gallon tank with a Fimbriated AKA Yellow-headed moray eel. He's about 16 inches or so and I'm looking to add some fish to the tank. I'd prefer them to be reef safe because I have a bunch of mushrooms and a few LPS corals. The only other fish in there is a blue damsel I can't catch. I was thinking of getting a large tang but I'm worried a 90 gallon tank isn't big enough. If anybody has any suggestions for fish that aren't likely to be eaten and aren't too difficult to keep, let me know!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking eel, I have a jeweled and I believe they are similar in size and temperament. Mine has grown up with some juvi triggers and a juvi passer angel so I have no problems. I think if he's fed well and the fish are obviously too large for him to eat you shouldn't have a problem. I wouldn't wait too long though or then it may be difficult to add anything. I think especially if you raised him by tong feeding him dead food he will be unlikely to wrestle down a fish. eatbreakfast gave a couple of good suggestions; I have a mimic tang in a 90 although he was meant to go into a larger tank, he's only about 3 " now and he;s doing well.

Mordwrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember their eye sight is poor and striking prey is possible. I kept a jeweled and a trigger successful in a 75g but it wasn't with out incident. The trigger was frantically feeding one day and the eel mistook this for a fish in distress . Trigger fish ended up in the eels mouth with a standoff. Triggers were fully extended preventing the eel from eating him and the eel looked like he tried to swallow a toothpick sideways. Both lived and had no issues afterwards but it was not pleasurable for either party

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back