Fin rot Saltwater Aquarium

Fcervone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

About 1.5-2 weeks ago I noticed my juvenile male angulatus wrasse losing some parts of his tail. I thought it was normal as he was a young fish and I know they are constantly changing. I thought it was fine until last Friday (8/19/22) I noticed the same happening to my Black Ice Longfin Clownfish (you can imagine my panic). I have experience with salt water aquariums but not for a few years so I'm a bit rusty. I just did a water change before noticing this. I changed out roughly 12 gallons of water in my 75 gallon display 85-90~ gallon system.

I rushed to my aquarist that night and bought Seachem: Neoplex, Focus, and Kanaplex. My longfin is still eating just fine, but her fins are continuing to lose pieces. I've attached images, picture 1 was when I got her, July 17th. Picture 2 was when I first discovered the fin rot on her, 8/19. Pictures 3 and 4 are from yesterday, 8/24. I started off dosing the system with Neoplex (about 50 scoops) and I added the focus and kanaplex to the food. It kept getting worse so I dosed the water with the kanaplex as well instead of the oral antibiotics. I'm getting worried, she seems to just keep losing more of her fins. My aquarist told me to hang tight and keep going with the antibiotics. It SEEMS like all my other fish either have cleared it or just avoided it. He also says it's good that her behavior hasn't changed and that she's still eating. Is this true? Does anyone have any additional advice? Is this getting worse and is it to the point that it will be permanent or kill my fish? Lots of advice is appreciated.

Thank You!

Screenshot_20220717-152249_Snapchat.jpg 20220819_191207.jpg 20220824_182242.jpg 20220824_182222.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fcervone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post note, I keep my t5 bulbs off for the most part as the bottles say to turn off UV filtration. Sometimes I've turned them on during feeding

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back