Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't decided on lighting yet. Am looking at the AI Hydra 32's. Any suggestions?

Well, one idea would be the Aquatic Life Hybrid fixture with four or five Hydra 26s that are 30% off right now. Clearing inventory for the new 32's.

I find them very reliable lights (just don't stack the bricks or they overheat), and for that price a very good value. The AI App is quite good as well.

If money doesn't really figure in, then a Giesemann Hybrid.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not surprising. Just keep following the program to cycle the tank. :)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question re: my QT. We've been adding Microbacter7 every day for almost two weeks now. The ammonia still looks like it's on "Toxic" (seachem ammonia alert badge) and doesn't seem to be coming down at all. Still good or do you think something is wrong?

#reefsquad #quarantine #QT
Adding everyday? Is that on the instructions?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. It says every day for two weeks.
Oh wow. Usually with bacteria, ammonia tests will be incorrect up to 3 days after your last dose. I haven’t used that bacteria but the others I’ve used in the past mess up ammonia tests.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ammonia is really 8ppm, that can slow things down. Are you using a test kit for ammonia, or just the badge?

Things are coming along, as you do have nitrite present. FYI, you can't trust a nitrate reading with nitrite present in the sample, as the nitrite interferes.

How long has it been since ammonia was first added? I wouldn't panic. Sometimes it takes a little time.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excited to see the build develop - any fish plans?

For the qt- I never had an issue with ammonia in qt using either bio-spira or fritz turbo start- how much ammoni did you add? Too much I think can harm the bacteria.

Also I see your qt is rounded just consider it might be harder to see the fish and signs of disease in it vs a qt with not curved glass.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that API ammonia test kits can give a false positive result. HOWEVER, that has not been my experience. I use both the API and the Salifert ammonia test kits as I'm starting up a new tank and they give the exact same results.

So IMHO it's just something to be aware of.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with any of the bottled bacteria products. If you wanted to do a large water change to bring the NH3 down to a more reasonable level (2ppm?), that wouldn't hurt. No need to restart anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back