Finally got my Greissenger Goby!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just excited about my new Greissenger Goby that I just bought and had delivered from the shop across the city just about an hour ago! He's REALLY small but I'll fatten him up on pods in no time! It's been a long time since I've seen a fish I haven't seen before that really excited me so when I first saw them in a pic from a nearby shop I knew o had to have one! I got on the preorder list and months later here we are! I actually wasn't able to see him in person before paying due to my busy schedule and I knew if I didn't pay this morning someone else would have gotten him already even though I "preordered" him (shop got him in a shipment last night). So a little bit surprised by his size but what a beautiful and amazing fish! He can be the sole fish of my nano invert tank now after an observational (no meds) QT. This is the most I've paid for a fish but it's nowhere close to what the price point is in the States or most other places IF you can even find one so I count myself very fortunate. These are pics the shop posted that don't do them justice.
Screenshot_2022-09-29-20-38-26-429_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2022-09-30-19-15-42-945_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats! Ya it seems they have been collected recently as my LFS has them right now for $60 and they haven’t had them since before COVID.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I was planning to train him on frozen or pellets but I think my nano is established enough with pods even without training although I'd still like to train him to come out to eat if that's possible....

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats! Ya it seems they have been collected recently as my LFS has them for $60 and they haven’t had them since before COVID.
Wow that's WAY down from where they were in the US ($100+) but here since the supply chain is so much shorter it makes the prices even cheaper than that which is cool to be able to afford the fish you really want

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's WAY down from where they were in the US ($100+) but here since the supply chain is so much shorter it makes the prices even cheaper than that which is cool to be able to afford the fish you really want

well we have two LFS here that price very fair. They get their fish from the same wholesalers so just goes to show the markup of some online retailers and stuff. They were always around $60 at my LFS.

I bet they will be like $150 online.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well we have two LFS here that price very fair. They get their fish from the same wholesalers so just goes to show the markup of some online retailers and stuff. They were always around $60 at my LFS.

I bet they will be like $150 online.
Do you have one?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah. I would never see it in my 80g
I'll barely see it in my nano from what I've heard haha but like I said since I first saw them they really excited me and for the price I probably won't get another opportunity if I decide to come back to the US

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll barely see it in my nano from what I've heard haha but like I said since I first saw them they really excited me and for the price I probably won't get another opportunity if I decide to come back to the US

get like 3 of them in a small nano and they would probably come out. At least that’s what I have seen from people who kept them. More confidence in numbers, plus they show off to each other.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get like 3 of them in a small nano and they would probably come out. At least that’s what I have seen from people who kept them. More confidence in numbers, plus they show off to each other.
If you ever make it over here I'd love to show you the shops around because they get some REALLY cool stuff in sometimes (fish and inverts primarily are the cool sometimes rarities) and you can get amazing deals since a lot of times they really don't know what they have. 99% of fish are crazy cheap compared to the states due again to the supply chain I suppose...just for example rare butterfly fish come in all sizes and species for the equivalent of $15 or less often

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had planned to keep him just in an observational QT to try to get him to eat frozen and also slowly raise the salinity to my tank's level but should I just wait until the water evaporates to the proper salinity and then introduce him to his new home regardless of whether or not he's taking frozen in QT by then? The tank is really biodiverse with all live rock, has been running for about a year, and has a healthy pod population...I also dose a little Phyto daily for my clam and the pods to eat to support their population.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had one in my 20 gallon nano and never saw him again after putting him in there : ( very cool fish, good luck!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one in my 20 gallon nano and never saw him again after putting him in there : ( very cool fish, good luck!
That's why I was thinking maybe training him to eat frozen or even Masstick (if he'll go for it) might bring him out to eat so I can see him

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast do these guys grow with a good supply of food btw? I know they stay pretty small and I like that but just curious. @i cant think and I'd love to have more than one if that brings makes them more willing to venture out of hiding but with low availability that might be difficult (yeah, they're also more expensive here than most other fish at ~$32 each but I can swallow that for these guys). I'll see how this one does first and then consider getting another if he's thriving in the tank as I plan on him being the only inhabitant.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast do these guys grow with a good supply of food btw? I know they stay pretty small and I like that but just curious. @i cant think and I'd love to have more than one if that brings makes them more willing to venture out of hiding but with low availability that might be difficult (yeah, they're also more expensive here than most other fish at ~$32 each but I can swallow that for these guys). I'll see how this one does first and then consider getting another if he's thriving in the tank as I plan on him being the only inhabitant.
Mine was brought in in June 21, I believe he was .25 inch (Maybe smaller) when he was brought into the LFS. Now he’s just over an inch (maybe 1.25”) and 1 year old. Their growth rate is decent, around 1 inch a year. So, around 0.1” per month. Although their lifespan is supposedly short (Mines over that 1 year marker at this point). The average lifespan is only a year unfortunately, some may make it over that however I’ve not seen many that make it past that.
I will admit, I have a couple fish surpassing their lifespan with me though.

Back