Finally! My 220g slice of the reef

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally a larger slice of the reef, current tank is a 120g and was able to make the jump to a 220g 72 x 30 x 24. I run a metal fabricating facility so naturally the stand is made from HSS. For the sump went with the Bashsea 48-18 Smart series. Flow will be handled by 4 VorTech pumps with battery backups. Return is Neptune Cor20 made sense to me as I plan to run as much Apex equipment as I can that serves a purpose for me. Lighting to start will be 5 Hydra 52 HD units, I run 2 of them currently over the 120 and the tank came with 3 more, I figured I would be spending plenty on the rest of the build so why not start with them. A few pictures below of the current progress.

1STAND1.jpg

1STAND2.jpg

1STAND3.jpg

My little shop cat buddy checking things out.

1SUMP.jpg

Tank on the stand, still have to lift it one more time to add the foam, electrician is coming this week to install dual 15amp circuit for the aquarium needs, all outlets will be GFI.
1TANKANDSUMP.jpg

The start of the rock work.
1ROCK1.jpg

I ordered my plumbing through BRS, received all the piping but only half of the remaining plumbing, hopefully get that sorted out for next week. I have a 200gpd RO/DI unit to replace my current 90gpd, plan is to have 2 75g storage containers, 1 for auto daily water changes and the other for mixing and top off, unfortunately that is the maximum size I can fit in the area that I have to work with.

Doing the rock is certainly taking longer than I expected, too many choices when it comes to piecing it all together, I hope to have it done by next weekend, at least to be able to see what it will be like in the tank.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Nice looking stand! Is there anything between the stand and the tank other than the stand frame and foam? I have never used a metal frame but all my stands have had a solid top for additional support of the bottom of the tank. Looking forward to seeing the progress on the build.

OP
OP
J

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, it is a beast, went a little overboard on the steel I used, but ended up looking good. Being a rimed tank no center supports are required as all the weight is in fact on the rim, I have had several over the last 20 years all done the same way, a center support would never make contact with the tank itself.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father fabricates with steel. I have never heard anyone say I wish I would have made that weaker - haha until it is time to take it apart:)

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally a larger slice of the reef, current tank is a 120g and was able to make the jump to a 220g 72 x 30 x 24. I run a metal fabricating facility so naturally the stand is made from HSS. For the sump went with the Bashsea 48-18 Smart series. Flow will be handled by 4 VorTech pumps with battery backups. Return is Neptune Cor20 made sense to me as I plan to run as much Apex equipment as I can that serves a purpose for me. Lighting to start will be 5 Hydra 52 HD units, I run 2 of them currently over the 120 and the tank came with 3 more, I figured I would be spending plenty on the rest of the build so why not start with them. A few pictures below of the current progress.

1STAND1.jpg

1STAND2.jpg

1STAND3.jpg

My little shop cat buddy checking things out.

1SUMP.jpg

Tank on the stand, still have to lift it one more time to add the foam, electrician is coming this week to install dual 15amp circuit for the aquarium needs, all outlets will be GFI.
1TANKANDSUMP.jpg

The start of the rock work.
1ROCK1.jpg

Doing the rock is certainly taking longer than I expected, too many choices when it comes to piecing it all together, I hope to have it done by next weekend, at least to be able to see what it will be like in the tank.

I'm liking your rock work as well. I'm doing the rock for my 270g build now and it does take forever. I have all my large pieces done, I'm just moving them around now to see how they look best and if I need any smaller ones to fill in here or there.

OP
OP
J

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is worth it in the end, I've had the wall, the stacked rock and even went for the foam wall of days gone by. Every time I get it the way I want it I see another piece that might have been better, so I'm only handling 1 box of rock at a time, limit the options.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving this build, can't wait to see it wet and full of corals and fish!!! ;Jawdrop ;Jawdrop ;Jawdrop

If possible, it just depends of the what's available, I would go with a 2 100 gal tanks for your RO/DI mixing station.

OP
OP
J

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you had to bring that up, I did purchase 2 units and plumbing to make it all nice only to have them not fit in the area they were intended for. Fortunately my good friend is building a 240g and he had the space for them. I have since located square vertical units that will fit, I measured this time.

My only other option was to remove the furnace, install them then reinstall the furnace, as crazy as that sounds I did replace the hot water tank for a tankless unit to give me the needed space in the first place. The wife was not so willing to go along with my furnace idea :(

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guns n roses GIF

Welcome!!
What are you going to stock the tank with? 220g gives you lots of options. Currently im loving groupers, you don't see many of those on here. *I dont have the tank for a grouper, but I obsess over fish hoping one day I'll have a tank big enough lol*

OP
OP
J

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty it's just a bigger place for my 2 tangs and Regal Angel to play in, I have a couple clowns, wrasse, gamma, damsels that I have had for a while. I would like to add a magnificent foxface, I lost out on one a year ago, hopefully find another. Certainly if ever in my area again a potters angel. I will certainly reach out and get some ideas from the members.

I saw a gorgeous red grouper, however I'm sure that would be out of the question, I have several types of shrimps that have been in my system for several years, I hope they adapt to the new environment.

OP
OP
J

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another night another piece of rock done. Seems so small in the photo, however it is 22" high.

20210217_205344_HDR_compress53.jpg

Some other goodies arrived. Should easily handle the Trident, DOS units and containers.

20210217_210240_compress4~2.jpg

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm liking the rock work, it is similar to what I just finished up on my build. If you are interested in seeing mine, I just posted it in my build thread (click the banner under my user name <---- )

OP
OP
J

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More rock done and 2 * 20 amp GFI circuits, 2 outlets under the tank and 2 more in the back room.

20210222_200318_compress56.jpg

IMG_20210222_155305_compress48.jpg

Plumbing has all arrived, so rest of rocks this week and hope to get the plumbing done, then get some water going finally.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good. Do you have those sections glued together where they connect? I've always left my sections separate and just had them touch to appear that they were connected. That way I could pull sections out of the tank if it was ever needed.

OP
OP
J

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I just have them close to each other. Same idea, didn't want to have to remove it for some reason and need to break it. Thought about glueing them and then thought about an arch over a couple, but no way.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get a good arch in my 60g cube without gluing the two parts together. The bridge portion is glued to only one side and rest on the other side for additional support.

Day0.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back