Finish this sentence: "The most interesting hitchhiker critter I've discovered in my reef tank is..."

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lovely IMG_6242.jpeg RoseCoral that came on the rock I got from Gulf Live Rock
Cool, you got coral!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I'd never seen one of those before today!

That is an interesting worm! Never seen it before!

Yes, it is a very interesting worm! And looks to be a beneficial detritivore, although the population can explode in the right mud/sand habitats. Not sure why it isn't more common since the worm is widely distributed between Texas and the NW Atlantic. Clymenella torquata, which is what I think I have, is actually called the bamboo worm since it looks like bamboo.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...chitons

Interesting (to me) because I have no idea where they came from.
Hadn't added a coral in over 6 months when I first spotted a tiny one on front glass.
Now, I have a bunch frequently visible and getting obviously larger.
*maybe they've been in my rock for two years without me ever seeing one but seems weird

chiton1.jpeg

I've posted same before in other threads but couldn't resist as I'm still puzzled.
Cool! Definitely beneficial!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, it is a very interesting worm! And looks to be a beneficial detritivore, although the population can explode in the right mud/sand habitats. Not sure why it isn't more common since the worm is widely distributed between Texas and the NW Atlantic. Clymenella torquata, which is what I think I have, is actually called the bamboo worm since it looks like bamboo.
I'm super curious about these guys now. I'd love to see a thread specifically discussing them. I'll be doing some more research now!

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most interesting hitchhiker critter I've discovered in my reef tank is this worm of the Clymenella genus, which I casually named the Spike-Funnel-Anus Worm. Yes, that spiky funnel shaped end of the worm is its anus. In fact, the Clymenella worms can take in detritus for consumption through both their head and their anus, although the anus still serves the typical role of an anus for excreting waste. I briefly toyed with the idea of calling it the "Serrated-Funnel-Anus" Worm, but that name suggests that the worm uses its anus for cutting, which is not the role of the anus for this worm (or any other anus in the animal kingdom that I'm aware of).
1691192773842.png
Winning! This is too funny

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussie Coral from live rock!
1692638003334.png

1692638013813.png
1692638021046.png

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I determined this to be something called a sap sucker at the time, but it could be something else.
397.jpg

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Siderastrea coral!

SiderastreaRadiansOpen.jpg

Gulf/Caribbean stone coral hitchhikers are the best, mainly because they are truly the "forbidden fruit" of the hobby! :)

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a purple legged pistol shrimp, that looks just like a bright red lobster was my best hitchiker'

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back