finished basement how do you keep it dry

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is the third time my basement has got water up from the drain not sure what is going on I have a built in sump that usually keeps the water out and in the pass they said it was the city's fault guess I will be finding out if that is the case again ..If so they pay to replace the carpet and damaged goods. I live in Dearborn Heights anyone else dealing with this?

OP
OP
RogerWilco357

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah they were suppose to get that fixed but no they didn't do it right because the North End of Dearborn Heights is still flooding my sump pump is working but pushing it out and no where to go but back in the main darn it they will have to pay again to replace my carpet ,clothes and other damaged furniture ..
Roger

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im missing something here. your sump pump goes to the sewer?
oh yes and also you should have a check valve on your sump pump so it doesnt drain back.

Last edited:

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where does your sump line exit to? if its to the yard, i would make the line longer to push it away from the house. a bigger pump and a check valve if you dont have one will help.

phi delt reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a large tree on your property? sometimes their roots break into the pipes and continue to grow through it (lovely "nutrients"!). if its a house you just recently got and the tree is old but looks small dont underestimate the root system. Its probably been cut back many times over the year.

Get a plumber in that has a scope to check the line from your drain to the city's system.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where does your sump line exit to? if its to the yard, i would make the line longer to push it away from the house. a bigger pump and a check valve if you dont have one will help.

Ditto ... have the sump pump exit to your yard and move the line far away from the drainage line around your house. Get check valves for sure and I've got 2 pumps installed in my pit in case one fails I still have another to move the water out before it floods.

OP
OP
RogerWilco357

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no the sump directs the water to the storm drain , but since storm drains flooded the water is coming back in thru my basements main drain in the center of the room down there. So when it rains really bad the water backs up they did built some new drain to control flow somewhere between the city of Taylor and Dearborn Heights they found out there was issues with it not functioning correctly so my grid my neighborhood gets backups. The city was sued and supposedly fixed the problem but I found out that still our 5 block radius is still having problems guess it is the cities problem and now mine ..they will be sending out forms to report losses and be paying out again did this last year and they paid 1400 ..bummer

Last edited:
OP
OP
RogerWilco357

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well found out it is the sump torpedo type gone bad or becuase of obstruction crossing fingers it only cost me 200 not the 2000 it might ...any plumbers in my area?

Back