Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock knock

Hanging in there man?
Yeah, hanging in there. How did you fare through Laura and the flood in May? I hope you are doing ok.

I quit updating the thread because I am just about back to ground zero again. Figured no one is interested in picking up on a five-year-old thread with nothing to show for it. The tank was set up for a few months last summer when Laura hit and it has been dry ever since. I thought about filling it up again going into the summer this year and then my house flooded in May. The house was just about gutted and still trying to get organized after the construction mess. At least the repairs are finished. My neighbor had her contractor just abandon her when Ida hit New Orleans and they headed over there for bigger jobs.

I have considered just getting out altogether, except I find myself still looking at online vendors and wishing I had someplace to put some frags. My nano has been sitting on my carport since the flood. It is still running, but nothing in it except some bacteria - hopefully. Oh, and some snails and chaetomorpha.

My ATI T5 Hybrid wasn't on my tank when it flooded and it was in six inches of water. It still works but I see traces of corrosion and likely will not trust it now. I was paid for it in my insurance claim, but when I went to check on a replacement, I found that the 8 bulb hybrids are no longer available. I even had BRS contact ATI. So, I went ahead and ordered a regular 8 bulb ATI fixture. I got it a few weeks ago. So, looks like I will try it again.

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, hanging in there. How did you fare through Laura and the flood in May? I hope you are doing ok.

I quit updating the thread because I am just about back to ground zero again. Figured no one is interested in picking up on a five-year-old thread with nothing to show for it. The tank was set up for a few months last summer when Laura hit and it has been dry ever since. I thought about filling it up again going into the summer this year and then my house flooded in May. The house was just about gutted and still trying to get organized after the construction mess. At least the repairs are finished. My neighbor had her contractor just abandon her when Ida hit New Orleans and they headed over there for bigger jobs.

I have considered just getting out altogether, except I find myself still looking at online vendors and wishing I had someplace to put some frags. My nano has been sitting on my carport since the flood. It is still running, but nothing in it except some bacteria - hopefully. Oh, and some snails and chaetomorpha.

My ATI T5 Hybrid wasn't on my tank when it flooded and it was in six inches of water. It still works but I see traces of corrosion and likely will not trust it now. I was paid for it in my insurance claim, but when I went to check on a replacement, I found that the 8 bulb hybrids are no longer available. I even had BRS contact ATI. So, I went ahead and ordered a regular 8 bulb ATI fixture. I got it a few weeks ago. So, looks like I will try it again.
Well that stinks.

Lost 16 trees in Laura and the roof to our upstairs bathroom. Spent 2 weeks without power for Laura and 1 week for Delta.

Haven’t had a tank running since January of 2020 so at least I didn’t have to deal with that too.

I’m like you just looking online every now and then. Looks like BRS is making a run at becoming the hobby’s first monopoly lol.

At least you have bacteria. The only reef related item I have left is an RODI unit that has been converted to RO only and is used for drinking water.

Still have mixed feelings about getting back in. Looks like the pandemic did a number on the prices.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that stinks.

Lost 16 trees in Laura and the roof to our upstairs bathroom. Spent 2 weeks without power for Laura and 1 week for Delta.

Haven’t had a tank running since January of 2020 so at least I didn’t have to deal with that too.

I’m like you just looking online every now and then. Looks like BRS is making a run at becoming the hobby’s first monopoly lol.

At least you have bacteria. The only reef related item I have left is an RODI unit that has been converted to RO only and is used for drinking water.

Still have mixed feelings about getting back in. Looks like the pandemic did a number on the prices.
Ya its rough across the board

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that stinks.

I even forgot about Delta. We didn't flood for that, but that 16 inches of rain in six hours in Lake Charles did me in. We were out of power for three weeks from Laura. No damage from Delta. My elderly mother is also not in good health and I spend time taking care of her house and affairs. I retired at the beginning of last year and it has been non-stop since then. Always one thing or another it seems.

You aren't lying about the prices. Another reason I was hesitant at first. I know a tank crash of a mature tank would be hard to take nowadays. I am sure a lot of them were lost over in SE Louisiana from Ida.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MERRY CHRISTMAS... :)
Happy Black And White GIF by Fleischer Studios

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I am trying this one more time. If anything else happens and makes me tear this thing down again, I may have a lot of outdated crap to sell.

Sorry to dig up a zombie thread, but it is still my unfinished build thread. :)

Here we are again.
39A237B8-CCD6-4FD4-8222-BD098780A595.jpeg

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I am trying this one more time. If anything else happens and makes me tear this thing down again, I may have a lot of outdated crap to sell.

Here we are again.
Good luck on this one. Tank crashes are rough. I’m in the middle of one right now where STN is wiping out everything.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Here we are again.
Best of luck! That setup is beautiful!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on this one. Tank crashes are rough. I’m in the middle of one right now where STN is wiping out everything.
Thanks, but this tank never had the chance to crash. It’s just been one thing after the other between family health issues and natural disasters. I am still hesitant to get it going because it is still hurricane season. My 140 ran for 12 years non-stop before I decided to get the Reef Savvy. My luck ha apparently run out since then. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck! That setup is beautiful!
Thanks, Daniel. I appreciate it. Maybe keeping this thread updated can give me a little more inspiration. I have come close to selling out a number of times during the last few years.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I mentioned some pages back that I have decided that this would be a softy tank. I was inspired by one of my favorite tanks here that was mostly softy dominate.

So, I have decided to use a thin layer of crushed coral as my substrate. Go ahead and rag on me if you like. This is the same substrate I had in my 200 gallon some 30 years ago. I have had it sitting in a Brute trash can in my back yard for decades. I am bleaching it and returning it to service. To me, it is easier to keep clean than sand. I held on to it for all these years to use it in another tank. At almost 68 years young, this might just be my “forever” tank. :). Not even sure you can get this anymore.

42F6C387-591B-4006-AA27-6A21F845F4C1.jpeg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of other hold-overs from my old tanks, the old LifeReef skimmer and the Omni-Flex return nozzles from OceansMotions. They are infinitely adjustable and hoping they pair well with the old school SeaSwirls for part of my in-tank flow. The siphon break is provided by the reverse check valve shown. Got that idea from Melev’s Reef.

The old skimmer cleaned up well and I added a float switch inside the cup to turn off the skimmer if it goes nuts. Also using an Avast Marine skimmate collector with a pressure shut off switch which will also shut off the skimmer aa a backup.
51387C91-8141-4904-8D01-B5AC4D3E21E1.jpeg
4A091166-2934-4E4F-B290-7814696FD3A0.jpeg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking even more awesome than last time!! Great to see things coming together again. That skimmer looks brand new, turned out great! Bet that was a ton of elbow grease lol

The crushed coral looks great as well, certainly not seen too much these days it seems. Are your stocking plans much the same as before? Or have you switched up your plans for that?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will likely be softies that are not as common. I loved MikeC’s tank and that changed my mind. I like the motion of soft corals. I am not afraid to cut them back to keep them under control. I know where MikeC got a lot of his corals and have already hit them up for frags and they are growing out in Pirate’s Reef.

Fish wise, mostly small fish. Probably a Copperband for Aiptasia control and a tang for an algae grazer. Some Chromis, Red Hawk Fish, etc. I only have PetCo here now, so I will have to travel or order online.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeC has a beautiful tank, an awesome tank to aspire to. Sounds like a solid plan, anything better than Petco that's reasonably close? Or would it be a huge hike to get to a reputable store? I have had good experience online, in Canada anyway, I know it's not for everyone, especially when it comes to fish.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back