Fin's Reef Savvy 125

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Fin, Jan 25, 2016.

1. justingraham

justingraham Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

Ok that's my plan as well m1s controlling the sea swirls

Fin likes this.

2. aquavista99

aquavista99 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

No need to apologize. Take your time on your build. Real life always gets in the way for me too. Very nice build and adding the sea swirls is the way to go in my book. I plan on doing the same for my tank.

Fin likes this.
  3. Fin

Fin Let the Fin Begin! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

I enjoy the planning and building of the system as much as reefing itself, so that is another reason I am not rushing it. I would also like for it to go together with everything that the system will utilize, all at once. I would like to try to avoid adding and subtracting things from the project. I want it to go together and stay together for a long while.

I follow your thread and your 600 gallon ReefSavvy beast is just amazing. I am honored that you even took a peek at my little project. :)

aquavista99 likes this.
  4. Fin

Fin Let the Fin Begin! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Another small part of the puzzle came in today. This is a breakout box for the APEX that is made by Avast Marine. If you have ever seen the Neptune breakout box, it has these very tiny screws for each terminal and there is a single ground screw used for all six switch hookups. Kind of a pain. This box has quick disconnects, much like you would find on speakers and each switch has an individual ground. It was only a few more dollars than the APEX version and I really like this better.

Avast Breakout Box.jpg

5. justingraham

justingraham Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

How does it work with apex does it recognize it or do u have to put a code in for it?

6. Centerline

Centerline Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

That lid is very cool!

Fin likes this.
  7. Fin

It just plugs into the I/O socket on the base unit, or a PM2 module. The switches 1 through 6 are already visible in Fusion. You do have to create code for each switch function.

8. justingraham

What switch is the ground? And thanks for the info

9. Fin

Double post.

10. Fin

Each switch has it's own ground. The APEX breakout box uses only one small screw to mount all of the ground wires to (up to 6 wires on a tiny screw). A bit cumbersome if you want to change up your wiring to the box.

11. justingraham

O shoot I didn't even see the black push buttons on the bottom thanks Man U give me some good ideas man thanks for doing all the hard work so I can steal it

Fin likes this.
  12. justingraham

So are ur sea swirls the 3/4 model?
    if so what is ur goal going to be gph wise? They are rated at 800-850 gph. That would be roughly 1600 gph thru ur sump which seems like a lot are u shooting more for 600/700?
    I literally have two sea swirls and two m1s and want to do the same as you just trying to get down the logistics

13. Fin

Yes, they are both the 3/4" SeaSwirls. Neither of the M1s will be running the SeaSwirls at capacity. They will either be tuned back, or I may run my UV and one SeaSwirl on one pump and probably my chiller and a SeaSwirl with the other. I have read some disappointing things about the M1s (after I bought them) with regards to actual flow rates, so I don't know if I will be able to run more than a SeaSwirl off of one of them. I will play with it more before to committing to branching off of them.

14. justingraham

Well I know an m1 at regular height five to six feet under the stand with the fittings that came with the pump with a check valve and two reactors on a manifold inline pushed good flow thru the swirl.

At the same time two sea swirls with the m1 pushing it in a closed loop setting was about 300-400 gph thru each sea swirl very disappointing

15. Fin

Another gear purchase. These two Avast Marine Peristaltic pumps will used for my ATO pump and my Calcium Reactor feed pump. I asked Avast if these would be suitable for use with the calcium reactor and Justin there replied to say that he used one for that purpose on his personal system. So we will try them out.

Technical Data:
    Pump box dimensions: 4" tall x 4" wide x 1.75" deep
    Input power: AC 110v
    Flow rate: 25mL/min (.4gph)
    Will deliver liquid up to 20' vertically and from hundreds of feet horizontally (according to the item description on the Avast Marine site)

AvastPump1.jpg

AvastPump2.jpg

spspirate and IronVulture like this.
  16. Black Pearl

Black Pearl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Everything looking great! Steady as she goes

Fin likes this.
  17. Fin

Still acquiring stuff. Pre-sale on the Neptune Flow Monitoring Kit. According to the Neptune Facebook page, dealers should start to get these in the next week or so. It comes with the FMM (Flow Control Module), 1 1" sensor & 2 1/2" sensors. I bought an additional 1" sensor. Of course, all of the threads are metric, but they include adapters for the 1/2" sensors and unions for the 1" sensors. Extra sensors are reasonably priced at $30 for the 1/2" and $60 for the 1". They will also have 2" available.

210683-fmk-flow-monitoring-kit-neptune-systems.jpg

Also, my RLSS skimmer died today. I was planning on using it at start up for the 125. The Waveline DC6000 bit the bullet this afternoon. I think the skimmer is about 3 years old. A shame too, because I really liked the skimmer. The pump is no longer available. Wondering if any of the other DC skimmer pumps might work on it?

I wrote to RLSS (in Canada) today and was surprised when I got a reply within 15 minutes - on a Sunday. They told me they have a new line of pumps and skimmers coming out in the next few weeks. So, I may see what is coming down the pipe before I do anything else. They sent me this pic of the new skimmers in production. They look a lot like the old models, but are apparently going to be orange. :eek: The new pumps are also APEX ready.

RLSSNewSkimmers.JPG

I put the 10 year old LifeReef skimmer back under the old 140 for about the 4th time. It just keeps on skimming. Maybe I should learn something from that fact. :)

I have also been eyeing the German made Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer. Anybody have any thoughts on this skimmer?

NYOS-QUANTUM-160-Protein-Skimmer-99-small.jpg

spspirate and Chriscrna like this.
  18. Black Pearl

Black Pearl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

"put the 10 year old LifeReef skimmer back under the old 140 for about the 4th time. It just keeps on skimming. Maybe I should learn something from that fact. :)"
    +1 I love my LifeReef skimmer

Fin and IronVulture like this.
  19. Finatik

Finatik Well-Known Member

What was the process you used to cure your Pukani Rock ? I just bought 60 pounds of it from BRS, and I've heard it comes loaded with Phosphates.

20. Fin

I did it the way that BRS recommended. Just let it soak in salt water (with circulation) for a good while and do water changes. Having said that, my rock has been soaking for over a year (while waiting for the tank) and there are still phosphates present (0.2 last time I checked). I only did a couple of water changes though. I am now running GFO on the container. Need to do some more water changes, starting soon. Getting closer to tank set up.

You might want to consider the acid bath, but be very careful. I imagine acid would do a number on the Pukani if soaked too long.

Draft saved Draft deleted