Fin's Reef Savvy 125

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have two return pumps that will run independently from one another. I have two EcoTech Vectra M-1s that will each run a return through the SeaSwirls and hopefully one or two other components in the sump (UV light, chiller). This was planned this way for redundancy. If one pump goes down, there will be a backup circulating water between the sump and tank. Just something I wanted to do. The SeaSwirls will not provide the main flow in the tank, but will hopefully create some more randomness to movement in the tank. I will have two MP-40s also.
Ok that's my plan as well m1s controlling the sea swirls

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No need to apologize. Take your time on your build. Real life always gets in the way for me too. Very nice build and adding the sea swirls is the way to go in my book. I plan on doing the same for my tank.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to apologize. Take your time on your build. Real life always gets in the way for me too. Very nice build and adding the sea swirls is the way to go in my book. I plan on doing the same for my tank.
I enjoy the planning and building of the system as much as reefing itself, so that is another reason I am not rushing it. I would also like for it to go together with everything that the system will utilize, all at once. I would like to try to avoid adding and subtracting things from the project. I want it to go together and stay together for a long while.

I follow your thread and your 600 gallon ReefSavvy beast is just amazing. I am honored that you even took a peek at my little project. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another small part of the puzzle came in today. This is a breakout box for the APEX that is made by Avast Marine. If you have ever seen the Neptune breakout box, it has these very tiny screws for each terminal and there is a single ground screw used for all six switch hookups. Kind of a pain. This box has quick disconnects, much like you would find on speakers and each switch has an individual ground. It was only a few more dollars than the APEX version and I really like this better.

Avast Breakout Box.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it work with apex does it recognize it or do u have to put a code in for it?

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wet yet. My wife is struggling with advanced arthritis and had a knee replacement about 6 months ago and now is probably facing a hip replacement (maybe even two) in the coming months. So, I have had to double up on household chores and I have my mom to see after as well. So, spare time has sort of evaporated. But, I am still rounding up equipment. I got my custom Clearview lid last week and have my second MP40 and backup battery coming tomorrow. The lid really exceeded my expectations. Very nice and fits like a glove.

IMG_3630[1].jpg

IMG_3631[1].jpg

IMG_3632[1].jpg

IMG_3633[1].jpg
That lid is very cool!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it work with apex does it recognize it or do u have to put a code in for it?
It just plugs into the I/O socket on the base unit, or a PM2 module. The switches 1 through 6 are already visible in Fusion. You do have to create code for each switch function.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What switch is the ground? And thanks for the info

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What switch is the ground? And thanks for the info
Each switch has it's own ground. The APEX breakout box uses only one small screw to mount all of the ground wires to (up to 6 wires on a tiny screw). A bit cumbersome if you want to change up your wiring to the box.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each switch has it's own ground. The APEX breakout box uses only one small screw to mount all of the ground wires to (up to 6 wires on a tiny screw). A bit cumbersome if you want to change up your wiring to the box.
O shoot I didn't even see the black push buttons on the bottom thanks Man U give me some good ideas man thanks for doing all the hard work so I can steal it

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are ur sea swirls the 3/4 model?
if so what is ur goal going to be gph wise? They are rated at 800-850 gph. That would be roughly 1600 gph thru ur sump which seems like a lot are u shooting more for 600/700?
I literally have two sea swirls and two m1s and want to do the same as you just trying to get down the logistics

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are ur sea swirls the 3/4 model?
if so what is ur goal going to be gph wise? They are rated at 800-850 gph. That would be roughly 1600 gph thru ur sump which seems like a lot are u shooting more for 600/700?
I literally have two sea swirls and two m1s and want to do the same as you just trying to get down the logistics
Yes, they are both the 3/4" SeaSwirls. Neither of the M1s will be running the SeaSwirls at capacity. They will either be tuned back, or I may run my UV and one SeaSwirl on one pump and probably my chiller and a SeaSwirl with the other. I have read some disappointing things about the M1s (after I bought them) with regards to actual flow rates, so I don't know if I will be able to run more than a SeaSwirl off of one of them. I will play with it more before to committing to branching off of them.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I know an m1 at regular height five to six feet under the stand with the fittings that came with the pump with a check valve and two reactors on a manifold inline pushed good flow thru the swirl.

At the same time two sea swirls with the m1 pushing it in a closed loop setting was about 300-400 gph thru each sea swirl very disappointing

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another gear purchase. These two Avast Marine Peristaltic pumps will used for my ATO pump and my Calcium Reactor feed pump. I asked Avast if these would be suitable for use with the calcium reactor and Justin there replied to say that he used one for that purpose on his personal system. So we will try them out.

Technical Data:
Pump box dimensions: 4" tall x 4" wide x 1.75" deep
Input power: AC 110v
Flow rate: 25mL/min (.4gph)
Will deliver liquid up to 20' vertically and from hundreds of feet horizontally (according to the item description on the Avast Marine site)

AvastPump1.jpg

AvastPump2.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still acquiring stuff. Pre-sale on the Neptune Flow Monitoring Kit. According to the Neptune Facebook page, dealers should start to get these in the next week or so. It comes with the FMM (Flow Control Module), 1 1" sensor & 2 1/2" sensors. I bought an additional 1" sensor. Of course, all of the threads are metric, but they include adapters for the 1/2" sensors and unions for the 1" sensors. Extra sensors are reasonably priced at $30 for the 1/2" and $60 for the 1". They will also have 2" available.

210683-fmk-flow-monitoring-kit-neptune-systems.jpg

Also, my RLSS skimmer died today. I was planning on using it at start up for the 125. The Waveline DC6000 bit the bullet this afternoon. I think the skimmer is about 3 years old. A shame too, because I really liked the skimmer. The pump is no longer available. Wondering if any of the other DC skimmer pumps might work on it?

I wrote to RLSS (in Canada) today and was surprised when I got a reply within 15 minutes - on a Sunday. They told me they have a new line of pumps and skimmers coming out in the next few weeks. So, I may see what is coming down the pipe before I do anything else. They sent me this pic of the new skimmers in production. They look a lot like the old models, but are apparently going to be orange. :eek: The new pumps are also APEX ready.

RLSSNewSkimmers.JPG

I put the 10 year old LifeReef skimmer back under the old 140 for about the 4th time. It just keeps on skimming. Maybe I should learn something from that fact. :)

I have also been eyeing the German made Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer. Anybody have any thoughts on this skimmer?

NYOS-QUANTUM-160-Protein-Skimmer-99-small.jpg

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"put the 10 year old LifeReef skimmer back under the old 140 for about the 4th time. It just keeps on skimming. Maybe I should learn something from that fact. :)"
+1 I love my LifeReef skimmer

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock - I have about 75 pounds of Pukani rock that has been cycling in a separate container since July.

What was the process you used to cure your Pukani Rock ? I just bought 60 pounds of it from BRS, and I've heard it comes loaded with Phosphates.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it the way that BRS recommended. Just let it soak in salt water (with circulation) for a good while and do water changes. Having said that, my rock has been soaking for over a year (while waiting for the tank) and there are still phosphates present (0.2 last time I checked). I only did a couple of water changes though. I am now running GFO on the container. Need to do some more water changes, starting soon. Getting closer to tank set up.

You might want to consider the acid bath, but be very careful. I imagine acid would do a number on the Pukani if soaked too long.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back