OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I can't talk anyway, I'm planning a upgrade and if I'm lucky it will running by next year. I haven't even started a build thread for it yet
I have most stuff here, but waiting on some True Union Valves and I have to begin the trips to the hardware store soon for stuff I can get locally. I am glad I live close to Lowe's & Home Depot, because I am sure it will require multiple trips. :)

I did order my custom top from Artfully Acrylic this evening. I had to wait until the tank got here to get my measurements with the SeaSwirls mounted on it.

This started in June of 2015 and I will be lucky to get water in it before 2017 gets here. I am going to try though. I am old and less energetic than I used to be. I require lots of naps. Ha!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these SeaSwirls make my tank look small? :) Tried them on for size today to measure for the Artfully Acrylic top. They are a little more imposing than I expected. The Eurobrace moves them further into the tank than I thought it would. Oh well, I will give them a try. I will also have an MP-40QD on at least one end. There won't be that much flow coming out of each SeaSwirl to handle all of the flow needs of the tank. I already have the MP-40, so I will see how that goes before getting a second one. The tank is drilled for two 3/4" returns that I will plug as long as the SeaSwirls are used.

SeaSwirls.jpg

SeaSwirls2.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
No, sorry to say. Too many irons in the fire right now. Hoping to work on it some over the long weekend coming up. I have my existing 140 to tear down first. This one still has a ways to go.

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't wait to see this one up and running! I hope I can acquire some of your patience! Are you still using your RLSS skimmer on the 145? pros/cons? Thinking of getting the db8i for my next tank.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't wait to see this one up and running! I hope I can acquire some of your patience! Are you still using your RLSS skimmer on the 145? pros/cons? Thinking of getting the db8i for my next tank.
You and me both. My patience is closely tied to my laziness. :)

Yes, I am still using the RLSS skimmer on my 140. I have had three skimmers on that tank: a Lifereef, a ReeFlo Orca 200 and the RLSS R8-i. I like the RLSS better than the other two. I really have had zero issues with "dialing it in." It is pretty much "set it and forget it." It produces very dark skimmate. The DC pump is very quiet and I like having the ability to adjust the speed and the one button timed feeding mode the controller provides. It comes apart easily for cleaning. As far as cons, I really can't give you any. I have been happy with it and also plan to upgrade a bit to the DB8-i model to use on the new tank. I like the way the pump mounts (filling the skimmer body with bubbles from the very bottom). Had I not run across Tony Vargas' build thread here on R2R a couple of years ago, I likely would never have even tried RLSS. They don't do much marketing. The skimmer performs very well for a reasonable cost, in my experience anyway.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda funny as I am picking up a new red sea 525xl tomorrow and my wife said "Your still not done screwing around with your other tanks! Your never going to get all this stuff finished". Wait till she sees the 100lbs of dry branch rock show up and me take over the garage for text month !

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin - any updates? I am finally talking to Felix on Friday after 9+ months waiting for my Reef Savvy 96. I will start a thread soon as well. Like you I have to break down a tank, finish a stand, etc. Let's get an update. I hope your tank is wet at this point!

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda funny as I am picking up a new red sea 525xl tomorrow and my wife said "Your still not done screwing around with your other tanks! Your never going to get all this stuff finished". Wait till she sees the 100lbs of dry branch rock show up and me take over the garage for text month !

Lol,......I'm getting the same thing from my wife on our 125g build !
She doesn't realize that there's scriped/order, to building a system.

I say,.....when you're building a new flower garden, you just don't place it anywhere expecting all to work, you must plan all aspects or you'll regret it.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol,......I'm getting the same thing from my wife on our 125g build !
She doesn't realize that there's scriped/order, to building a system.

I say,.....when you're building a new flower garden, you just don't place it anywhere expecting all to work, you must plan all aspects or you'll regret it.

Funny as this morning I ordered 100 lbs of Tonga Branch from BSR for the tank ;)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin - any updates? I am finally talking to Felix on Friday after 9+ months waiting for my Reef Savvy 96. I will start a thread soon as well. Like you I have to break down a tank, finish a stand, etc. Let's get an update. I hope your tank is wet at this point!
Not wet yet. My wife is struggling with advanced arthritis and had a knee replacement about 6 months ago and now is probably facing a hip replacement (maybe even two) in the coming months. So, I have had to double up on household chores and I have my mom to see after as well. So, spare time has sort of evaporated. But, I am still rounding up equipment. I got my custom Clearview lid last week and have my second MP40 and backup battery coming tomorrow. The lid really exceeded my expectations. Very nice and fits like a glove.

IMG_3630[1].jpg

IMG_3631[1].jpg

IMG_3632[1].jpg

IMG_3633[1].jpg

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Hey Gary, thumbs up to you on waiting, helping your wife. My wife and both kness's replaced, so I know how things go. My praise to you and prayers for her ! )

Man, I'll have to read more of the thread, as the lid looks great!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are u going to power the sea swirls? Like which pump? Thanks And family comes first great job

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Hey Gary, thumbs up to you on waiting, helping your wife. My wife and both kness's replaced, so I know how things go. My praise to you and prayers for her ! )

Man, I'll have to read more of the thread, as the lid looks great!
Thank you for the kind words - and the prayers for my wife. We'll take all the help we can get.

This journey with the tank has taken a year and a half so far, so no use in getting in a hurry now. My wife does want me to get it finished though. It is kinda taking up space in the living room, sitting next to the 140 gallon algae farm. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are u going to power the sea swirls? Like which pump? Thanks And family comes first great job
I will have two return pumps that will run independently from one another. I have two EcoTech Vectra M-1s that will each run a return through the SeaSwirls and hopefully one or two other components in the sump (UV light, chiller). This was planned this way for redundancy. If one pump goes down, there will be a backup circulating water between the sump and tank. Just something I wanted to do. The SeaSwirls will not provide the main flow in the tank, but will hopefully create some more randomness to movement in the tank. I will have two MP-40s also.

Back