justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same footprint and that was the plan.
Awesome sauce

So u got the same tank as u had? U didn’t want to go bigger? And I’m guessing because the tank was eleven plus years old that’s why u got it replaced with a reef savvy?

I’m sorry if u explained this already I read a lot of build threads

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the input, since I know zero about refinishing furniture. This is a professionally built stand by a local caninet maker (who is also a reefer) and is still in good condition, despite being 11 years old.

I procrastinate too much and that should be pretty evident by now. :)

Beautiful cabinet! I have my own 9 month old build thread with a dry tank to show for it - I feel your pain man ;)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome sauce

So u got the same tank as u had? U didn’t want to go bigger? And I’m guessing because the tank was eleven plus years old that’s why u got it replaced with a reef savvy?

I’m sorry if u explained this already I read a lot of build threads
No, I had a 140. I wanted a slightly shorter tank, so I ordered a 48" x 24" x 25" - or a 125. Other issues with the 140 are that it had a HUGE glass center brace and the two large Mega-Flow overflows inside the tank. The Reef Savvy is shorter, has a low profile Ghost Overflow and is Euro-braced, so no center brace. There will also be more room inside the tank, without those big overflows.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, if that were mine I would consider just hitting the stand with 220 and then brushing on a coat of Minwax urethane stain of your choice. Hitting that with 00 bronze wool and then a couple of tops coats. Weekend project that would make that Reef Savvy pop! I use those Minwax stains all of the time and they go on fast and dry fast. Maybe black walnut would be a good compromise? Still have the grain to keep your wife happy but a little to keep you happy. If you do decide to go with black then something like a nice flat / matt black epoxy (Sherwin Williams) that you can roll on with a small foam roller would create a nice uniform texture, seal and protect the wood and look awesome. Just my two cents!
I ran across this MinWax product on their web site and it sounds like this would be right up my ally - PolyShades. One step stain and polyurethane. Is this the product you were referring to as "Minwax urethane stain." Sand lightly with #220 sandpaper and apply over the existing finish. No stripping of the old polyurethane finish, other than roughing up the existing coated finish. Sounds too easy, but I think this is what I will try, in a darker color than what I have. Our other furniture has changed since I got the stand. After taking another long look at the stand, I would sure hate to lose that woodgrain.

PolyShades.JPG

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran across this MinWax product on their web site and it sounds like this would be right up my ally - PolyShades. One step stain and polyurethane. Is this the product you were referring to as "Minwax urethane stain." Sand lightly with #220 sandpaper and apply over the existing finish. No stripping of the old polyurethane finish, other than roughing up the existing coated finish. Sounds too easy, but I think this is what I will try, in a darker color than what I have. Our other furniture has changed since I got the stand. After taking another long look at the stand, I would sure hate to lose that woodgrain.

PolyShades.JPG
Yup, that's the stuff. Home Depot has a pretty good selection. When applying you can use either a foam brush or a regular brush though I feel a regular brush does a better job. You can even roll and tip it if you are feeling a little OCD on project day ;)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's the stuff. Home Depot has a pretty good selection. When applying you can use either a foam brush or a regular brush though I feel a regular brush does a better job. You can even roll and tip it if you are feeling a little OCD on project day ;)
Thanks. I might need clarification on “roll and tip it.” Ha!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more work on refurbishing the stand this weekend. I bought some of the MinWax PolyShades and thought I was just going to scuff the surface and start staining. Nope. First couple of passes with the 220 paper on a hand-held sanding block went past the top coat and stain to bright wood. Very thin coat of each, apparently. So, realizing that I was going to go down to wood all over the place, even with light sanding, I decided to take off as much as I could. It will take a little more time, but I hope it will give me a better finish. I went with a darker "Honey" color stain. Going to paint the inside of the stand with a semi-gloss white and the back with a semi-gloss black (to match the back of the tank). There was no finish on the back originally and the interior just had a sealer sprayed over the natural wood. I like the clean look of the white on the interior. The sump is white and blue acrylic and plumbing will be blue pvc. Anyway, some progress - finally.

IMG_4935-sm.jpg

IMG_4937-sm.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more done this weekend - in between chores and watching LSU & the Saints. :)

Drilled two holes in the sides of the stand for ventilation fans and got the first coat of Polyshades on. I will look at it better when I get home this afternoon, but I may be ok with the one coat. If so, I will then paint the back of the stand with black satin latex and the interior with the white satin latex. Still have to do the doors.

IMG_4985-sm.jpg
IMG_4986-sm.jpg
IMG_4987-sm.jpg
IMG_4988-sm.jpg
IMG_4989-sm.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more tinkering and dry fitting my manifold. Still missing some pieces. Some components are behind the tank, so that is why some of the outlets are turned around backwards. Probably won't be the final version.

Manifold1.jpg

Manifold2.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that blue/white combo!
Thanks. Hopefully I will be making more progress on this now. Been procrastinating on this way too long. My priorities took a substantial reshuffle right after I ordered this tank and it got put on the back burner for quite some time. But, one needs to have time for the fun stuff too. So, at least I am moving forward.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I quite enjoy a slow methodical build. I leave my plumbing dri-fit for a couple of weeks at least and fiddle with it and redo it multiple times. People in the local reef club just roll their eyes at me ...

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I quite enjoy a slow methodical build. I leave my plumbing dri-fit for a couple of weeks at least and fiddle with it and redo it multiple times. People in the local reef club just roll their eyes at me ...
Oh yeah, I get quite a bit of ribbing from the "is it wet yet" crowd. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really beautiful work!
Thanks, I do appreciate it. Now if I can plumb it without any leaks. Fingers crossed.

One other thing that I did last weekend was to start on my rack for my 29 gallon ATO reservoir and refugium. Built it with EZ-Tube and fittings. My tank sits at a diagonal in one corner of my living room and I made a bit of room behind the tank, big enough to walk behind the tank and be able to easily put my hands on any equipment.

The 20 gallon display refugium may eventually morph into a frag tank - if I am ever able to have anything to frag. :)

Fish Room.jpg

The 20 gallon refugium may eventually morph into a frag tank - if I am ever able to have anything to frag. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back