Fin's Reef Savvy 125

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin - just reread your thread from the beginning. I'm really excited to follow along. I'm taking my time with my Reef Savvy as well. It looks like you are just about there. Awesome build!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin - just reread your thread from the beginning. I'm really excited to follow along. I'm taking my time with my Reef Savvy as well. It looks like you are just about there. Awesome build!
Thanks! Not sure how awesome it is, but it has been fun. I think I wore out the folks that were following the thread earlier, so thanks for chiming in. :) I am following your build also.

A small update. So, this weekend, I wanted to test fit the canopy on top of the Reef Savvy, with the ATI fixture on top. I gutted the canopy and filled 11 years worth of holes that have been drilled in it. The front door used to lift up and then slide back into a hidden compartment in between the panel the lights were mounted to and the underside of the canopy top. I had to remove all of that and repair what I messed up doing it. I will have to come up with something to do with the door too. So, it is really ugly right now and still a different color. I will refinish it the same as the stand, so it should look much better with a fresh re-stain and paint job.

The fixture is barely visible from normal viewing level and will look better without the wires. The light will now be 18" above the waterline, which is about 8" higher than my old lights, but I don't think that will matter much, if at all. I think I will mount the acrylic shield on the underside of of the panel the fixture sits on. I know there will be lots of room under there now. :D I know it is not modern looking, but then neither is our living room. :) So, I know it is ugly now, but bear with me on this one. Remember, it was probably on its way to being discarded. I think it will look good once I get done refurbishing it.

Top-On1.jpg

Top-On2.jpg

Top_on3.jpg

Top_on4.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did u do to the left sea swirl?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did u do to the left sea swirl?
Good eye. :) That is an idea I borrowed from Melev's Reef. It is a "reverse check valve." It is actually a regular check valve that is installed backwards. Water pressure pushes against the internal flap, keeping the valve closed. When the water flow stops, the flap opens and sucks in air, stopping the siphon. The SeaSwirls go several inches below the surface and I don't want to drill any anti-siphon holes in it. I will let Marc explain...

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good eye. :) That is an idea I borrowed from Melev's Reef. It is a "reverse check valve." It is actually a regular check valve that is installed backwards. Water pressure pushes against the internal flap, keeping the valve closed. When the water flow stops, the flap opens and sucks in air, stopping the siphon. The SeaSwirls go several inches below the surface and I don't want to drill any anti-siphon holes in it. I will let Marc explain...

I thought that’s what it was u have a pic on how u did it?

But I thought u were doing two return pumps so how come it’s not on the other one? Or do I have u confused with someone else?

I drilled two holes right under the water line in my sea swirl conectors the three inch male conectors it comes with that has worked out well for me although one somehow got blocked the other day and my sump took on another ten gallons of water from my display

Anyway I’m really liking the look of ur tank it is very clean esp with that I’m guessing artfully acrylic top

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that’s what it was u have a pic on how u did it?
Nothing complicated. I just put a T right before the input of the SeaSwirl and added a couple of fittings to mount the check valve on the side of the SeaSwirl.

BackwardsValve1.jpg

BackwardsValve2.jpg

But I thought u were doing two return pumps so how come it’s not on the other one? Or do I have u confused with someone else?
I am doing separate pumps to each SeaSwirl. I didn't want to connect the two like Meleve did, since there are two pumps. So, there will be a check valve on each SeaSwirl. The plumbing isn't really close to being finished, so I just haven't gotten to the other one yet.

I drilled two holes right under the water line in my sea swirl conectors the three inch male connectors it comes with that has worked out well for me although one somehow got blocked the other day and my sump took on another ten gallons of water from my display
And that is another reason I don't drill holes for siphon breaks. Mine should only drain down to the lower end of the teeth on the overflow.

Anyway I’m really liking the look of ur tank it is very clean esp with that I’m guessing artfully acrylic top
Thanks. And yes, that is an Artfully Acrylic screen top.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin I love the check valve idea. Thanks for sharing that. Quick question - I know you explained you had a problem with the protective shield on the ATI. Why is that? Personally I think the tank would look even more awesome if you didn't have to mount it on top of the canopy.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin I love the check valve idea. Thanks for sharing that. Quick question - I know you explained you had a problem with the protective shield on the ATI. Why is that? Personally I think the tank would look even more awesome if you didn't have to mount it on top of the canopy.
My tank sits at an angle in one corner of my living room. The shield is 48" long and I only have 24" clearance, before it hits the wall. I did put one end of the fixture as low as I could and the other as high as I could and eventually worked the shield out. A bit unsettling with that light (that is on the heavy side) hanging at such a severe angle above that Reef Savvy tank. Plus, when I pulled the shield out, it scratched it up sliding it out at that angle. With the tank sitting up against the wall, this would not be an issue. With the light resting on top of the canopy (and no wires to deal with) it will at least be easier to pull the light down to change bulbs.

I understand what you are saying though and thanks for sharing your opinion. It is not set in stone that I will use the canopy, but if it comes out looking a lot better after some repairs and refinishing, then I may go that route. Using the canopy does solve a number of issues for me and I am leaning more that direction at the moment.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank sits at an angle in one corner of my living room. The shield is 48" long and I only have 24" clearance, before it hits the wall. I did put one end of the fixture as low as I could and the other as high as I could and eventually worked the shield out. A bit unsettling with that light (that is on the heavy side) hanging at such a severe angle above that Reef Savvy tank. Plus, when I pulled the shield out, it scratched it up sliding it out at that angle. With the tank sitting up against the wall, this would not be an issue. With the light resting on top of the canopy (and no wires to deal with) it will at least be easier to pull the light down to change bulbs.

I understand what you are saying though and thanks for sharing your opinion. It is not set in stone that I will use the canopy, but if it comes out looking a lot better after some repairs and refinishing, then I may go that route. Using the canopy does solve a number of issues for me and I am leaning more that direction at the moment.

do you even need the shield?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked on their forum and according to ATI, yes. It protects those bright shiny reflectors and the shield is part of the cooling system and the way air moves through the fixture. That is important to ensure the best possible performance from the bulbs. This was their reply when I asked the same question...

Without the shield you can expect your reflectors to get pitted and degrade very quickly. They are made of Miro Silver which is highly susceptible to oxidation from the salt. It is not the same as other fixtures that people commonly run without a shield and a good part of the reason our fixtures have so much more output.
Cooling will also be ineffective, the acrylic channels the airflow down the length of the tubes which maximizes output and lifespan.

Long story short, its a terrible idea. Trust me, its worth the effort to take it down if that is what is needed to change bulbs.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also waiting on a few items from Anything Acrylic (in Australia). I have some Vortech controller mounts, an APEX monitor mount, some "sock replacement tubes," and a custom bracket to hold a few 1000ml dosing bottles that I got from U.S. Plastics on order. Here is a pic of the sock replacement tube. These will fit in my sock holders, instead of socks. I can put floss or filter pads (also carbon or other media in bags) in these and just toss it when it gets dirty. Hopefully no more washing socks for me. :)

Sock Replacement1.jpg

Sock Replacement2.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary, great tank so when are you putting water in this bad boy.:)
As soon as I quit buying stuff for it. :) I do try to keep sight of the fact that this is my hobby - so I tend to tinker with it, rather than go full bore. Although, I have spent most of my free time lately working on it. It will get there. Thanks for asking though.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. It's been a few weeks since I updated the thread. I have been tinkering with the canopy, dosing rack & containers. I will be trying out ATI Essentials on this tank. So, a few pics.

Doser1.jpg

Doser2.jpg

Doser3.jpg

CanopyRefurb1.jpg

CanopyRefurb2.jpg

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the canopy @Fin !
Thank you. It is starting to look better. The new tank is about 5" shorter in height than my old one, so I am hoping that the canopy won't look too tall sitting on the current tank. I kind of got that vibe when it was sitting up there a few weeks ago. Maybe going with a darker stain will help that out a little. We will see.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update/upgrade.
I like how clean you got the doser and bottle worked out.
I understood the ATI Essentials need a rather big dosing volume.
Will you be going for sps?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back